Requisition ID: 10966
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Working closely with a large group of staff, supervisors and management, the Superintendent 1 ensures a high standard of professionalism and service in support of the City of Vancouver’s Street and Traffic By-laws and regulations. This exempt position is responsible for developing process improvements to optimize efficiency; monitoring and reporting on operational metrics; managing program budgets; ensuring the needs of internal and external customers are met and creating purpose and direction for their team. They must ensure their staff understand branch goals and objectives and enables the team to achieve them by providing guidance, feedback and training.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for leading and directing the work of 3-4 Operations Supervisors and indirectly approximately between 50-60 Parking Enforcement Officers. The Superintendent 1 clearly communicates job expectations and manages work performance and attendance. Other staff responsibilities include hiring and training, as well as human resource and labour relations responsibilities including the preparation for and participation in grievance meetings. Superintendents are responsible for the safety of their team and ensure staffs adhere to all regulatory obligations, safety procedures and branch policies.
They are accountable for managing and reporting on assets and equipment, program and departmental budgets as well as creating, analyzing and reporting on program metrics to initiate and ensure successful completion of projects and/ or process improvements.
As a confident and experienced communicator, the Superintendent 1 participates in and oftentimes represents the branch in various meetings relating to their work which involves lliaising with public, internal departments and outside agencies.
This leadership position requires our managers to model and encourage team work and productivity, as well as the responsibility for creating a positive working environment by building and supporting effective and respectful relationships, with staff, colleagues and the public.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical, business management, By-law administration and /or Justice Institute courses related to By-law administration or operations management or equivalent combination of training, education and experience
- Sound experience in leading and managing large work groups
- Minimum of 5 years operations leadership experience in a Unionized environment
- Experience with operational metrics essential
- Experience with operational budgets considered an asset
- Experience in By-law administration considered an asset
- Project management experience considered an asset
- Change management experience considered an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to recognize Branch objectives and develop effective strategies to meet those requirements
- Sound knowledge of safety procedures, WorkSafe Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, Committee responsibilities
- Ability to ensure creation of Incident and Flash Reports and update to OHS data management system
- Ability to interpret, follow, explain and direct staff in collective agreement language, City policies and procedures
- Ability to address employee labour relations issues and manage performance for direct reports including training and development
- Ability to work cooperatively and professionally within a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to support interfacing with the public, inter-branch and outside agencies/companies
- Strong analytical skills for process review and ability to initiate independent recommendations to improve branch efficiencies
- Ability to create and present reports to senior management, City staff and outside agencies
- Proven background as an innovative thinker who is open to, initiates and successfully manages change
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in MS Office is essential
- Ability to work independently, with good judgment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of the City’s Street and Traffic By-laws is an asset
- Ability to manage budgets is an asset
- Knowledge of SAP and Hansen is an asset
Please note that clearing a Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions.
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
This is an 18 hour a day operation / 363 days a year (closed Christmas and New Year’s). You must be flexible to work either Saturday or Sunday and some stat holidays. Start time could be between 8:00am and 9:00am.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2018
Application Close: June 21, 2018