Building and Plumbing Inspector
Development Services Department
$38.46 to $42.78 per hour Competition No. 2018-41
Building and Plumbing Inspector
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the Cowichan Valley between Nanaimo and Victoria and administers one of the most beautiful areas on Vancouver Island. Our coastal communities of Chemainus, Crofton and Maple Bay are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities and opportunities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island in a great area to raise a family.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Building and Plumbing Inspector on a full-time basis.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake all duties associated with building and plumbing inspections of a wide range of urban, semi-urban, and rural residential and commercial developments during the various stages of construction, alteration and/or repair. The inspection services will ensure compliance with all regulatory codes, guidelines, and bylaws. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time. The Building Inspector may also be required to perform some Bylaw Compliance duties. This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
- Completion of Grade 12 and Level I to III Certification with the Building Officials’ Association of B.C. Candidates without Level III certification may be considered on condition that certification is obtained within 4 years from the date of hire.
- Three years’ experience in a local government building department performing building/plumbing inspections.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have an Interprovincial Ticket in Carpentry and/or a Diploma of Building Technology from a recognized educational institution.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- An effective communicator both written and verbal, collaborator and problem solver who makes sound recommendations consistent with legislative requirements while using tact and diplomacy.
- Superior knowledge of the BC Building Code including Part 7 (plumbing code).
- Knowledge of accepted building and plumbing practices and processes including zoning, subdivisions and issuance of permits.
- Keyboarding skills and the ability to work within a Windows environment. Knowledge of computer based information systems for building records, bylaw enforcement and business licensing and familiarity with Tempest would be considered an asset.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Please submit cover letter and resume clearly detailing how your skills, qualifications and abilities match those required for this position by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday June 21, 2018.
If you will be sending your application by way of email, PDF format is preferred.
Please reply to the undersigned, quoting the competition number and position title.
Human Resources Department