Corporate Finance Analyst
City of Surrey
Corporate Finance Analyst
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
The primary objective of this role will be to lead the City’s financial year end process and provide assistance in optimizing the City’s various financial procedures and documentations. Reporting primarily to the Finance Reporting Manager, this position will be responsible for the support, enhancements and critical processes of the financial year end to ensure the City takes full advantage of resources and related technologies to insure the complete and accurate presentation of annual financial reports. This position involves analysing complex financial transactions, and providing internal customer service, leadership and support related to general financial processes for the City.
The incumbent will bring exceptional communication and organization skills, a focus on continual improvement, and a positive and practical approach to meeting objectives in order to establish the future direction of our corporate financial processes.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and maintain processes and procedures which ensure that year-end financial statements and related documents are presented in accordance with statutory requirements, applicable standards, processes and procedures;
- Oversee the working papers and related documentation related to the financial year-end;
- Facilitate the external audit and act as the point of person for the external Auditors during the year-end audit;
- Have experience and attention to detail in the application of the Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Community Charter and other relevant statutes;
- Supervise professional and clerical staff during the completion of set projects;
- Oversee the monthly corporate financial accounting transactions, analysis and reconciliations;
- Make ongoing recommendations for financial process improvements and efficiencies;
- Lead or assist with various projects, including process review and improvements, internal control reviews, and other departmental projects that may be assigned from time to time;
- Consult with City management and staff across departments to ensure development of best practices and standards related to financial processes and policies; and
- Inform management and staff of new and/or revised relevant City and Departmental policies and procedures related to financial processes.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with senior management, staff, and the general public;
- Deal effectively and tactfully with the internal and external stakeholders;
- Persuade, analyze, reason, evaluate and problem solve;
- Exercise considerable independence of judgment and action on all aspects; and
- Understand/analyze the relationships between complex business requirements and technological solutions that align with City business, creating collaborative solutions.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, you will possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Completion of the Canadian Professional Accountant designation and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting or related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum of 5 years of increasingly complex experience;
- Track record of successfully developing and executing interdepartmental initiatives;
- Complete a Police Information Check; and
- Knowledge of Local Government and Unit4 Agresso/Business World is an asset.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca