Garden River First Nation
Garden River First Nation
Job No: 96642
Location: Garden River, ON
- Use your Band Management skills to assist in developing our community while honouring our heritage!
- Enjoy a highly competitive salary and benefits package!
- Relocation assistance for the right candidate!
About the Organization
Located about 40 km east of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Garden River First Nations' traditional territory consists of two non-contiguous areas, totalling 20,703.5 hectares. Currently, Garden River First Nation has about 1400 members living both on reserve and off reserve in other areas. In our community, you will find a Band Office, Child Care Centre, Public Works, Wellness Centre and School among other amenities. Outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy all that the area has to offer: fishing, golfing, hiking, kayaking, quading, skiing, snowmobiling, etc.
We administer a variety of programs and services and employ approximately 200 people. Various department managers oversee their individual programs and overall administrative duties are overseen by a Chief Administrative Officer who is directly responsible to the Council who in turn, are responsible to the membership.
Our mission is to build a harmonious community that is built on mutual respect that maintains a healthy balance through prosperity and well-being. Through these actions, we intend to create a self-sustaining community that fulfills the emotional, physical, mental and spiritual well-being of all members.
We are striving to make Garden River a pinnacle community, to find out more information please see our website: http://www.gardenriver.org/index.php
About the Opportunity
Currently, Garden River First Nation (GRFN) is searching for a strategic and strong-minded Band Manager to join our team in Garden River, Ontario.
Reporting directly to the GRFN Chief and Council and working closely with the Department Managers, the Band Manager is responsible for working with the Chief and Council in the Good Governance of the Nation and collaborating with department directors, managers and professionals to ensure that the goals that have been established in the 2020 strategic plan for the GRFN are met.
Your responsibilities for this role will include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that Chief and Council’s Strategic Plan, priorities and objectives are implemented
- Attending Garden River First Nation Chief and Council meetings
- Ensuring Chief and Council use Good Governance in making decisions and leading the Nation
- Drafting Band Council Resolutions (BCR) and ensuring the following of GRFN’s Custom Election Code
- Ensuring that Chief and Council’s policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensuring compliance of prevailing laws and reporting requirements of all funding agencies
- Assisting Department Directors and Managers in planning and developing systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the organization in line with the strategic plan
- Assisting Department Directors and Managers in preparing proposals and meeting reporting requirements that secure funding for GRFN
- Scheduling and conducting regular Management Team Meetings, encouraging Department Directors to work cooperatively and collaboratively to address the needs of the community
- Performing other related duties as required
- University Degree in Public Administration, Business Management, Finance, Accounting or equivalent (Asset)
- Five (5) years experience in a similar role with senior management experience
- Proven Project Management experience
- Must work and reside in the Garden River Community
- Be willing and able to pass a criminal record check
- Knowledge and understanding/or commitment to learn about the Ojibwa culture and traditions
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of people and circumstances
- Ability to be resourceful in a number of different situations
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours as required
- An understanding of issues related to confidentiality and the ability to protect the privacy and confidentiality of Garden River First Nation, community members and staff
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated strong work ethic
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise, mentor and motivate staff
- Ability to maintain order within an environment of changing priorities, practice sound crisis management, accept responsibility and achieve results through self- motivation and the promotion of teamwork
- Ability to adapt management style to fit the needs and level of experience of each of the Department Directors – giving more direction and structure to some and offering greater independence to others
This role is ideally suited to a strong and experienced leader who relishes the challenge to grow to the next level of management.
About the Benefits
As recognition for all your hard work and determination, you can look forward to a competitive annual salary, plus the following:
- Full benefits package
- Relocation assistance for the right candidate
- Use of company vehicle if required
This is your chance to make a change in a dynamic, bustling, and growing work environment where you will have the opportunity to implement processes in order to streamline the organization as a whole and help us to achieve our strategic goals.
If you are looking for an opportunity to further strengthen and develop your Leadership skills while making a difference in our community, apply now!