Building Technologist (RFT)
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Job ID: 2017420
$37.27 - $43.99 per hour
The City of Richmond is currently looking to hire a Regular Full-Time Building Technologist to join our Building Approvals team. This is a specialized, technical position responsible for effective plan review in order to ensure that new construction, alterations and additions to existing buildings and structures meet the general design and life safety standards of the municipality prior to the issuance of building permits.
We are looking for someone that has:
- Thorough knowledge of the British Columbia and National Building Codes, and City Building, Zoning and Sign Bylaws, and related departmental policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of building construction and materials.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in applying pertinent codes/regulations, (including BC Building Code, National Building/Fire Codes, Local Building Bylaw).
- Ability to read and understand plans, drawings and specifications, to perform structural review and related computations, and to suggest corrections and changes where required.
- Ability to interpret and apply the National Building Code and BC Building Code, and City of Richmond bylaws, regulations and municipal planning guidelines and policies.
- Ability to effectively explain Building Code, City Bylaw, Regulations and Policy to a variety of external contacts.
- Ability to simultaneously coordinate and review a number of complex projects, as well as deal effectively with a wide variety of staff, owners, builders, professional people and members of the public in balancing the nature of quality customer service with the regulatory aspects of this position.
Position Requirements: Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a diploma in Building Technology supplemented by a minimum of five (5) years of related experience in the building, architectural, engineering or municipal field; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience is required. The incumbent must hold a Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia Certificate, Level III or an RBO designation or equivalent designation.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today! For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment.
The City of Richmond offers a competitive pay and benefits program, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.