Manager Roads Maintenance
Manager Roads Maintenance
Management / Administration
Rocky View County
Reporting to the General Manager, the Manager, Roads Maintenance is responsible for the overall administration and maintenance of the County’s vast road network which connects a land area of 3,836.33 km2 (1,481.22 sq. mi), in accordance with municipal policies, service standards, provincial regulations and other governing legislation. You will ensure the timely preparation of the department’s operating and capital plans and budgets in conjunction with the County’s strategic plan.
Managing people using teamwork and building cohesion will be an important part of this role.
- Establish and maintain a high level of employee performance through effective recruitment and selection; employee orientation, training and development opportunities; mentoring and coaching employees on performance, performance reviews and as required discipline including termination.
- Participate in policy and procedure development and implementation.
- Protect the health and safety of employees and public by providing support to the County health and safety program; advice regarding health and safety hazards; participating in the reporting process of health and safety concerns and incidents; and preventing violence and harassment.
- Adhere to the County’s Commercial Safety and Maintenance program for all drivers and vehicles.
- Facilitate continuous quality improvement, changes and responsiveness to service increases, changes or decreases. Ensure resourcing and scheduling of employees to meet service demands.
- Develop and monitor the departmental budget that provides for flexible, effective, efficient, and cost effective services. Make recommendations regarding operating budget, workload, employee resources, minor and capital purchases and space allocation.
Develop and Maintain Relationships
- Attend and participate in inter-jurisdictional meetings and activities on an ad hoc basis.
- Prepare for and attend regularly scheduled meetings of Council and committees as required.
- Liaise with members of intradepartmental committees involved in joint projects and initiatives.
- Answer citizen and Council questions and concerns.
- Actively participate during County emergency response situations.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary education in a related field
- Minimum 10 years’ progressive related experience.
- Thorough understanding of road construction techniques, maintenance activities, health and safety policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation/monitoring, multi-year project/asset planning as well as the effective application of technology in the analysis, evaluation and decision making in a public works setting.
- Excellent management, organizational, interpretation and communication skills-both written and verbal.
- Provide excellent customer service and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with Council, senior leadership, department heads, and department employees.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, and Access).
- Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.
Closing Date: June 24, 2018
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. This opportunity will be posted until a suitable candidate is selected.