Organizational Development Consultant
City of Vancouver
Organizational Development ConsultantRequisition ID: 10860
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The City’s Organization Development Team is seeking an experienced, energetic, and collaborative OD Consultant to join our team.
You have a passion for contributing to the development, effectiveness and performance of leaders, leadership teams, and the overall organization, as well as supporting teams through transformational change, in service of the City achieving its business-unit and corporate priorities and goals.
Reporting to the Manager, Organization Development in Human Resources (HR), you will serve as an integral OD Team member and internal consultant and coach responsible for assessing and analyzing OD needs, providing strategic OD advisory support, developing strategies and plans, and implementing and evaluating OD initiatives and outcomes. You will also serve as a key contributor to the City’s efforts to provide a wide range of formal, informal, and social learning and development options and opportunities for leaders and contribute to the design, development and maintenance of OD methodologies, processes, resources and tools.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Working in collaborative partnership with key HR stakeholders and assigned clients to strengthen the capability, capacity, effectiveness and performance of leaders and leadership teams, as well as the overall organization, through strategically assessing needs, developing strategies and plans, implementing initiatives and evaluating outcomes
- Proactively staying up to date on organization priorities and challenges, and identifying opportunities to enhance the organization’s performance and outcomes, through such efforts as individual leader and leadership team development, succession planning, culture change and transformational change
- Working closely with colleagues from our CityLearn employee development team to identify, develop and/or deliver a range of formal, informal, and social learning options and opportunities for City leaders, leadership teams and other key audiences
- Contributing to the ongoing design, development, and maintenance of progressive OD methodologies, practices, processes, resources and tools.
- Participating as an enthusiastic, collaborative OD Team and actively contributing to the development and sustainment of a healthy team culture and internal OD ‘community of practice’
- Partnering with external OD consultants and coaches on OD initiatives as applicable
- Maintaining up-to-date OD knowledge and skills and staying abreast of OD trends
- Contributing to the fostering of a culture of lifelong learning and high performance at the City
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ experience providing consulting and coaching services to leaders and leadership teams, from operational to executive levels, to enhance performance and/or facilitate transformational change in a large, complex, diverse and committed service organization
- Solid experience in the application of progressive human development and organization development principles and practices and knowledge of best practices to facilitate effective development and performance
- Experience working in a public sector organization is an asset
- Continuing post-secondary education and/or a Master’s degree in an area such as Organization Development, Leadership Development, Adult Education or other behavioural-science equivalent is an asset, as are professional coaching certification, change management certification and/or certification in individual, team and/or culture assessments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively in an environment of complexity, ambiguity, and change
- Ability to work well as a team player
- Strategic systems-thinker
- High level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Strong relationship-building, communication, collaboration and influencing skills to assist in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Ability to organize your work and accomplish objectives proactively, independently, and interdependently
- Superior judgement and ability to manage and communicate sensitive information as applicable to stakeholders at all levels
- Proven, effective consulting, coaching, and facilitation skills
- Sound project planning and management skills, including ability to plan, develop, and manage activities, timelines, budgets, documentation and resources
- Proficiency in use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- A commitment to continuous learning and self-development
Business Unit/Department: Human Resources (1020)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2018
Application Close: May 27, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.