Manager, Capital Markets
City of Toronto
Manager, Capital Markets
|Requisition #||2304023 X|
|Work Location||City Hall, 5th floor, East Tower|
|Job Type||Permanent, Full-Time|
|Salary/Rate||$127,145.20 - $149,403.80 / Year|
|Hours of Work (bi-weekly)||70.00|
|Shift Information||Monday to Friday, 35 Hours Per Week|
|Job Code (PSG)||TM1013|
|Number of Positions Open||1|
|Posting Date||May 17, 2018|
|Expiry date||June 1, 2018|
Reporting to the Executive Director, Corporate Finance, the Manager of Capital Markets will manage the funding and capital market activities for the City of Toronto and lead a skilled team in a variety of responsibilities, including cash and investment management, debt issuance, credit ratings and the administration of letters of credit, loan guarantees, lines of credit and the provision of capital market advice.
- Provides strategic direction, allocates resources and oversees the work flow of the four key functions within the Capital Markets section: Internal Investment Management (approx. $2 billion), Toronto Investment Board administration (approx. $4 billion) and Debt Issuance and Management (approx. $6 billion) as well as Letters of Credit Administration.
- Manages, motivates and trains section staff, ensuring effective team work and high organizational performance.
- Manages the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff, including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Recommends and implements the annual operating budgets for the section and the Toronto Investment Board, as well as forecasts the annual debt service cost and investment income.
- Provides sound advice and policy recommendations to Council on matters relating to investment, temporary and long-term financing as well as loan guarantees.
- Ensures all investment and financing activities are in compliance with policies, and internal controls are properly in place and followed.
- Provides sound advice and analysis to the CFO for the annual long-term capital financing plan.
- Plans and executes the issuance and administration of debt in capital markets and loan agreements.
- Develops the annual Investor Relations strategy and plan.
- Performs thorough syndicate reviews and recommends debt syndicate members composition.
- Recommends staff's responsibilities and signing authorities for City Manager's approval.
- Provides strategic guidance to staff in making investment decisions for City’s internally managed funds (over 10 internally and externally mandated funds) in accordance with the investment policies.
- Oversees the City's liquidity management program to ensure all cash flow needs are met daily.
- Oversees the administration of the Toronto Investment Board meetings and the co-ordination with key stakeholders.
- Provides semi-annual investment reports to Council as required by the Investment Policy.
- Manages the custodial and investment banking relationships to ensure that the Treasurer’s fiduciary responsibilities are fulfilled.
- Maintains positive relationships with the financial community and the credit rating agencies to support and enhance the City's credit ratings.
- Oversees the administration of the Letters of Credit functions and ensures compliance with the City's Letters of Credit Corporate Guidelines.
- Acts as a signing officer on behalf of the Chief Financial Officer for investment, foreign exchange and banking transactions as well as letters of credit.
- Represents the Capital Markets section and, in some cases, the CFO and the Executive Director of Corporate Finance, at meetings of Council, its Committees, and others from outside the City.
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function, including a professional designation (i.e. CFA), and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience in policy development, transactional and operational aspects of institutional investment, treasury management and capital financing.
- Considerable experience leading, developing, coaching and motivating diverse staff teams, as well as monitoring and evaluating staff performance while ensuring high standards of work quality and organizational performance.
- Superior knowledge of the economic and accounting practices employed in the debt and investment management of public funds.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving, organizational and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and demands in a rapidly changing environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and Occupational Health and Safety Act to ensure all applicable employment standards are uniformly and consistently applied.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Manager, Capital Markets within our Corporate Finance Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2304023 X, by June 1, 2018.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the Job ID #_______ X, Manager, Capital Markets.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.