Program Assistant III - Summer Unlimited
City of Vancouver
Program Assistant III - Summer Unlimited
Requisition ID: 11313
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Summer Unlimited program is a citywide program for youth with disabilities. The program runs out of Britannia Community Centre and runs for eight (8) weeks, Monday to Friday.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Working as a key member for the Adapted Recreation team, the Program Assistant III (PA III) Summer Unlimited position is responsible for leading a staff team to modify and adapt age appropriate activities, out-trips, and communication strategies for youth with disabilities.
Reporting to the Britannia Community Services Youth Programmer and the Access Services Recreation Programmer II the successful candidate will participate in the training, orientation, mentoring, and evaluation of volunteers assisting with camp, while also organizing and completing all risk management, budgeting and program planning.
This position supports youth with disabilities to be actively involved in a community setting while also maintaining regular and respectful contact with parents and guardians of participants.
A current a Valid Class 4 Drivers License is a requirement of the position and the successful candidate must be comfortable sharing driving duties of a 20 person accessible van.
The position begins June 11, 2018 and runs out of Britannia Community Services Centre for 12 weeks.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of an approved diploma course in recreation and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Completion of an approved diploma in Therapeutic Recreation or a related discipline and a minimum of six months related part-time experience in recreation with an emphasis on working with people with disabilities or an equivalent combination of training and experience is preferred.
- Current and valid First Aid Level 1 is required. (Applicants must attach a copy of their First Aid to their application)
- Current and valid Class 4 Driver’s License is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of the safety practices, policies, regulations and rules applicable to the work performed.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership and development.
- Some knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of recreational programs and activities as related to the work performed.
- Some knowledge of basic marketing and advertising.
- Ability to coordinate, deliver and participate in various special events and oversee activities and programs offered in an assigned area.
- Ability to plan, assign, review and supervise the work of one or more Program Assistants.
- Ability to maintain control and exercise discipline with tact and consistency.
- Ability to maintain records and perform a variety of routine clerical tasks related to the work performed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to deal with same with tact and diplomacy.
Drivers License's and Police Record Checks:
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- A Valid and current Class 4 Driver's License is required.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: June 11, 2018
Position End Date: August 31, 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-016: $25.84 to $30.37 per hour
Application Close: May 25, 2018