Planner II (Regulatory Review)
City of Vancouver
Planner II (Regulatory Review)
Requisition ID: 11268
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is a professional planner position with the Regulatory Review Framework Project that involves a major review of the City’s land use regulation and policies as part of the City’s commitment to providing excellent services and regulatory innovation.
Key Contacts and Relationships
The Planner II will report to the Manager of Regulatory Framework Review and may supervise staff and consultants. The nature of the work is complex consisting of a comprehensive review, assessment and update of the current regulatory system and policies. The work will be carried out in consultation with internal and external stakeholders, including other city departments, governments and agencies, community residents, landowners and business interests.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Review the City’s regulatory authority, evaluating the effectiveness of the current regulatory system and structures, exploring best practices for regulatory innovation.
- Determine opportunities to simplify and consolidate regulations and review processes.
- Identify opportunities to reconcile conflicts between various regulations and policies.
- Prepare and manage work programs.
- Develop and implement public engagement and consultation processes.
- Consult and work closely with staff from other departments and the public.
- Supervise staff and manage consultants as required.
- Prepare and present reports to staff, the public and City Council.
- Represent the City to outside agencies, delegations, and other external functions.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A graduate degree in planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners, a master’s degree is preferred.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia and/or the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in the planning field in either municipal or private sector with developing land use polies and regulations and regulatory frameworks; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated planning ability with an emphasis on land use policy development and regulatory frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience with City’s land use by-laws, regulations and associated review processes.
- Experience in developing work programs and managing complex planning projects.
- Proven communication skills in effectively presenting information, preparing reports and responding to inquiries in a clear, concise, and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability and skill to work within multidisciplinary team environment using facilitation, conflict resolution and interest based mediation skills to achieve mutually agreeable solutions.
- Ability to organize and direct the work of subordinates engaged in planning work and to supervise staff.
- Experience developing and implementing a range of public engagement processes.
- Ability to manage priorities in a changing environment, while delivering complex projects on time.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2018
Position End Date: December, 2019 and June, 2020
Number of Positions: 2
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $47.82 to $56.57 per hour
Application Close: May 25, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.