Administrative Assistant III
City of Vancouver
Administrative Assistant III
Requisition ID: 11203
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proudto be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reports to and receives day-to-day direction and supervision from the Deputy Chief’s Office. Provides confidential administrative support services to the Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services management team; provides ongoing assistance and coverage to the Executive Assistant, Office of the Fire Chief, human resource related research and questions and assists with grievance handling process; administers elements of the recruitment and selection process; works very closely with and supports the department Human Resource Consultant and also supports the Assistant Chief-Occupational Health & Safety, with administration of the attendance management program.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensuring department and City recruitment policies, procedures and collective agreement requirements are adhered to
- Preparing, verifying, and ensuring accuracy in competition reports, including summarized applicant details
- Initiating and processing Electronic Staff Action Forms ( ESAFs)
- Working with the City’s job posting site to upload job postings and download applications for screening and processing
- Typing and proof reading a variety of routine and confidential documents; preparing reports, tables, spreadsheets and drafting correspondence
- Maintaining records management systems ( both electronic and manual)
- Providing assistance and back up relief to the Executive Assistant to the Fire Chief
- Answering queries and responding to inquiries from managers, employees and the public regarding the status of job postings, general application information, and employee status; following up with appropriate correspondence
- Creating grievance files including researching and gathering information required for grievances as well as scheduling grievance meetings
- Preparing and updating the Grievance Management System(GMS)
- Supports the Assistant Chief of Occupational Health & Safety with administration of the City’s Attendance Management Program ( AMP)
- Liaison for the department’s Joint Safety Committee; meeting support, production, dissemination and distribution of monthly JSC communications
- Advises managers of AMP attendance interview guidelines and drafts follow-up program letters for review by management and human resources personnel.
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned
- Grade 12- supplemented by post-secondary education ( a diploma or certificate in administrative management or business administration or human resources); customer service training, as well as some training and experience with records management
- Minimum of 5 years related experience, preferably in recruitment, with some time working in a unionized environment
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing, including the ability to prepare business correspondence, presentations and reports
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and to deal with highly sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work and work under pressure with constant interruptions
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization and with the public; and to provide exceptional customer service
- Work independently and also collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy and to research and analyze information.
- Ability to use a multitude of office equipment and computer software such as Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Internet, SAP
Business Unit/Department: Deputy Chiefs Office/Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services
Employment Type: TFT
Salary: Annual Salary: $49,053 to $61,307 plus an excellent benefits package
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.