Manager of Transportation and Utilities
Manager of Transportation and Utilities
Position Reports To:
General Manager of Transportation and Infrastructure Services
The Manager of Transportation and Utilities is responsible for ensuring that both short and long term infrastructure needs of the County are met. This is accomplished through accurate monitoring of current facilities and accurate planning of future system improvements and upgrades based upon projected development or legislative changes.
The Manager of Transportation and Infrastructure Operations oversees the various water, wastewater, and storm water systems, including waste transfer sites throughout the County and has the following direct reports: Utility Operator Foreman, Land Agent, Road Inspector / Gravel Pit Technician, Facilities Maintenance Specialist, and Hamlet Operations Foreman.
- As a manager with direct reports, participate in the recruitment and selection process, conduct new employee onboarding / orientation, train, coach, performance manage, participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations, participate in employees’ career development, and actively participate in other corporate-endorsed human resource management processes and procedures.
- Participate in the budgeting process for both transportation and infrastructure projects.
- Monitor spending to ensure that expenditures are consistent with approved budgets.
- Oversee the tendering process for infrastructure improvements in the County hamlets.
- Liaison with provincial government agencies, other municipalities, various industries, and the general public regarding technical, financial, and day to day matters.
- Attend Council meetings and provide status updates and recommendations to Council on various County projects and objectives.
- Work with the County finance team to ensure accurate and sustainable tracking of infrastructure.
- Ensure infrastructure needs of the County hamlets are properly assessed and sufficient capacity is maintained for the infrastructure systems.
- Maintain an accurate database of existing infrastructure systems and facilities, detailing both condition and age as well as expected lifespan.
- Work with senior management to ensure appropriate workplace health and safety objectives are met, and provide guidance to the Health and Safety Officer regarding the planning and implementation of occupational health and safety initiatives.
- Maintain own compliance with OH&S and ensure all applicable employees are in compliance with OH&S including employee attendance at regular safety tailgate meetings, employees being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring employees complete work in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- An accredited degree or diploma in the field of Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology, or a related field
- Current membership in good standing with the respective Association
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a supervisory capacity
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a municipal environment related to the provision of transportation and utilities services
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Work requires both field and office settings with travel to various County sites
In order to apply, please send your resume and cover letter via email, to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can also mail your application to the address below, attention Vinod Jasra, Manager of People Services:
Human Resources (Marked confidential)
RR1 Hwy 1
Strathmore, Alberta T1P 1J6
Fax (403) 934-4889
The closing date for this position is August 14, 2018 at 4 PM. We thank all applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.