City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 11191
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the General Manager, Development, Buildings & Licensing, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for setting up and coordinating the activities of the GM office by performing a wide variety of administrative support services while maintaining confidentiality and diplomacy.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the GM’s calendars and schedules by prioritizing appointments and resolving scheduling conflicts.
- Arranges large and small group meetings and meeting logistics such as scheduling attendees, room procurement, equipment, etc.
- Manages the flow of documents and inquiries; screens, reviews, edits and proofreads correspondence, e-mail, telephone calls, voice-mails, etc. (includes knowledge of handling extremely sensitive and confidential files and correspondence) for the GM.
- Responds to phone, e-mail and in person enquiries. Responsible for electronic and paper files of the GM office.
- Conducts research, complies data, and prepares reports for consideration and presentation by the GM.
- Assists and advises the GM in determining and meeting timelines for various tasks.
- Drafts and proofreads correspondence, agendas, and minutes on behalf of the GM.
- Regularly liaises with colleagues in other departments and the office of the City Manager.
- Tracks and follows-up on correspondence and other types of inquiries ensuring that responses to requests for information from City departments, the City Manager, and Mayor and Council are completed in a timely manner.
- Monitors the GM SharePoint site.
- Effectively manages often multiple, competing and changing priorities. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 supplemented by courses in administrative management with at least 5 years working at a senior management level in an administrative capacity and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills including a thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and business math.
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to explain and apply City programs, policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing, including the ability to prepare business correspondence, presentations, and reports.
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and deal with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work, work under pressure with constant interruptions.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization and with the public and to provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively in a team environment. Ability to research and analyze a variety of related data and issues.
- Ability to work in a modern office environment using software such as Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Internet, VanDocs, SharePoint and SAP.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2018
Application Close: May 27, 2018