Senior Executive Advisor
City of Grande Prairie
Senior Executive Advisor
Within the City of Grande Prairie, broad operating areas that house similar organizational functions are grouped together into service areas or Divisions, each lead by a Director. The City of Grande Prairie is currently looking for one or more Senior Executive Advisors, who will expertly manage the business of the service area while supporting the work and responsibilities of the Director.
As the first point of contact for the Director’s Office, the Senior Executive Advisor performs a wide variety of executive support functions at a senior level to ensure the efficient and professional management of
the Director’s Office and the service area. The Senior Executive Advisor represents the Director’s Office by communicating and interacting with senior administration, elected officials, other levels of government, outside agencies, internal staff and the public in a respectful, helpful and professional manner.
The Senior Executive Advisor works independently, exercises good judgement, handles sensitive situations, and expeditiously deals the business of the Division, which often requires handling highly confidential information and exercising appropriate tact and diplomacy. The Director requires the Senior Executive Advisor to research and analyze facts and circumstances, make timely decisions, sometimes on the Director’s behalf, and take ownership and accountability for all assigned tasks. The Senior Executive Advisor will also work to establish and sustain a high caliber of report and presentation standards within the Division.
This position requires an energetic, detail-oriented individual who has exceptional planning and organization skills and can multi-task with the ability to be flexible and meet stringent deadlines. Keen political and business acumen is required for optimal performance. The Senior Executive Advisor will provide one-on-one support to the Director, will be the primary Director’s office contact for managers in the Service Area and will be an integral part of the entire service area team, providing direction and support to supervisors, managers and the administrative function in each of the Division’s departments.
- Manages all workflow through the Director’s Office and coordinates workflow among the department managers within the service area.
- Anticipates needs in the service area and for the Director by connecting and making sense of diverse information arising from multiple sources.
- Identifies strategies, gains approval and leads implementation of administrative process improvements within the Division.
- Maintains and oversees service area Council, Committee and CLT reports and financial reporting, addressing concerns and problem-solving with appropriate staff, prior to Director review and approval.
- Redrafts and/or provides editorial suggestions to authors of Council, Committee and CLT reports or briefing documents to enhance format, grammar and content ensuring all documentation moving forward from the service area to City Council are submitted with clear and concise messaging on time and in the proper format.
- Researches, prepares and processes clear concise detailed briefing material, reports and letters for the Director, elected officials and others as required.
- Coordinates and is available to attend service area Department Manager meetings as well as other meetings, retreats and off-site sessions. Typical duties in this regard include development and distribution of accurate and timely agendas and minutes, presentation material preparation, arranging meeting logistics and completing follow-up actions.
- Prioritizes and coordinates the Director’s schedule, including completing travel arrangements for efficiency in a fast paced and complex working environment, avoiding meeting conflicts.
- Actively participates and contributes as team member with other Senior Executive Advisors by freely sharing information and ideas and assisting with coverage items when required.
- Using good judgement, ensures timely and accurate follow-up within the service area regarding internal and external issues and public inquiries.
- Prepares and presents reports to Council, Committee and CLT as required.
- Demonstrates adaptive knowledge and reliable application of City procedures and policies.
- Coordinates meetings and timelines between the Director and his/her direct reports related to job planning, performance management, and regular/emergent 1-1 meetings.
- Approves weekly attendance reporting for Department Managers, approves monthly purchasing card reconciliation in the Service Area and prepares travel and expense claims for the Director.
- Maintains accurate and updated physical and electronic filing to store service area documentation for easy and efficient retrieval.
- Work with the Director to develop and manage the business plan and operating budget for the Director’s office and departments across the service area.
- Manages special projects and/or participates in various corporate initiatives as required by the Director.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- A bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or Business Administration
- Seven (7) years of directly related work experience, including a minimum of two (2) years in a senior executive support capacity.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
ATTRIBUTES AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain working relationships in a team environment with a broad spectrum of employees, including other Senior Executive Advisors, the Corporate Leadership Team and City Council.
- Sound judgement and decision making capabilities, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, including research, business composition, proofreading skills and presentation to groups.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure and within tight deadlines while balancing a wide variety of activities.
- Ability to quickly respond to people and situations by exercising good judgement when assisting difficult, disruptive and upset people in person and on the phone.
- Confident, professional and self-assured in making independent decisions, initiating change and problem solving with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and maturity to be a sounding board and trustworthy resource for the Director, with the ability to recognize confidential/sensitive information and respond appropriately.
- Dependable, flexible, self-motivated and highly customer service oriented. Has highly developed political and business acumen.
- Advanced skill and knowledge in the use of personal computers/software applications in a network environment, ie, MS Office Suite, email and internet applications.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience in municipal government, understanding of the City’s organizational structure and reporting relationships, Corporate/Service Area goals, policies and procedures.
To apply for this position, please follow the link: Senior Executive Advisor