Payroll and Benefits Coordinator
City of Lacombe
Salary Level: $59,971 - $74,964
Payroll and Benefits Coordinator
Reports to: Financial Services Manager
The City of Lacombe values its staff and believes that success and satisfaction are based upon quality service. Each employee shares in the overall responsibility for quality service, and contributes a caring attitude and a commitment to excellence.
Reporting to the Financial Services Manager, this position is responsible for ensuring the payment of salaries to all employees and entities receiving payroll services, ensuring that payment is in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The Payroll and Benefits Coordinator manages the group benefits plan in accordance with the plan requirements and administers the pension programs.
- Maintain the computerized payroll and time and attendance system for assigned hourly and salaried payrolls, including all related municipal accounts, federal records, and benefits carrier account requirements and process related pay adjustments.
- Responsible for reports and related remittances covering payroll, benefits, government programs, carriers and year-end, including accruals.
- Ensure up to date compliance with CRA, Employment Standards and other applicable legislation, regulations, policies and collective agreements.
- Be a subject matter expert regarding the time and attendance application. Process new hires, terminations and all other personnel changes as required.
- Work cooperatively with Human Resources and employees to respond to payroll, pension and benefits inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain employee confidence by keeping all information confidential.
- Manage the Group Benefits Plan and Pension programs in accordance with the plan requirements.
- Act as a liaison to benefits broker to assist in resoling issues related to employee concerns.
- Maintain awareness of and adhere to the City’s OH&S polices and comply with all safe work procedures and the OH&S program requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices and principles in the preparations and processing of payroll, and of the rules, regulations and agreements applicable to same.
- Working knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Intermediate level competency with computerized accounting software.
- Proficient computer skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop positive relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to represent the City and the Department in a professional, competent manner.
- Display and encourage a high level of ethical behavior.
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult interactions both internally and externally.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Business Administration Diploma or equivalent;
- Minimum of 2 years payroll experience with preference given to municipal government experience;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Canadian Payroll Association Payroll Certification or significant progress towards completion of certification
In addition to being a great place to work, a competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary ($59,971 - $74,964), a comprehensive benefits package, and LAPP. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
If you believe this is the right career opportunity for you, please go to www.lacombe.ca/employment to submit your resume by April 26, 2018, quoting 2018-13. In addition to your resume, please provide a cover letter outlining how your background and experience will contribute to your success in the role.
FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Barbara Wilton, Human Resources Manager
5432 – 56 Avenue
Lacombe, AB T4L 1E9
Note: All applicants are sincerely thanked in advance for their interest. Only those that are invited for an interview will be contacted.