General Manager of Corporate Services
City of Spruce Grove
General Manager of Corporate Services
Management / Administration
The City of Spruce Grove
RC 2018 0026
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible to provide visionary and strategic leadership to the Corporate Services Division of the City. As a member of the Executive and Senior Leadership teams, the incumbent has overall accountability for the provision of Finance, City Clerk, Information Systems, Human Resources, Corporate Planning and Asset Management services. He/She leads the development and implementation of policies and programs to ensure the resources of the municipality are managed in a cost effective and responsible manner. This position reports to the City Manager.
- Provide expertise, guidance and recommendations to City Manager, Council, and Organizational Leaders in all aspects of Strategic Corporate Services and business planning including the design, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services.
- Act as a key advisor and strategist in leading corporate matters such as the Strategic and Corporate Planning, Asset Management, Financial Management, Information Systems, City Clerk Administration and Human Resource Management.
- Sponsor the development and implementation of the city's corporate initiatives (programs, projects, etc.) supporting legislative, financial, technological, human resources and corporate planning requirements.
- Oversees the development of Council and administrative policies, procedures and other corporate directives.
- Facilitate the development of long term and short term planning process for the Division and ensure appropriate input from staff, board, and public into the Corporate Planning Process.
- Ensure that appropriate and timely planning occurs in all areas of the Division.
- Ensure that initiatives, programs and projects align with the Corporate Strategic Plan, budget, community needs, and are current in terms of industry trends.
- Provide leadership in ensuring that human capital is managed effectively to meet the service delivery requirements of the division.
- Plan and implement Division objectives that are aligned with corporate strategies in order to maximize service delivery.
- Ensure the organization is in full compliance with all relevant legislation and City Administrative policies.
- Negotiate agreements and memorandums of understanding for the approval by the City Manager or Council.
- Facilitate multi-disciplinary work groups, convene and arrange meetings, coordinate communication, motivate, and facilitate discussion and consensus with respect to the Division and corporate mandates.
- Act as the principal advisor to the City Manager, Council, and Council Boards, Committees, and other groups regarding matters within the Corporate Services mandate.
- Act as chief administrator and lead the Division to ensure the maximization of service delivery and resources.
- Oversee and ensure the maximization of service mix and delivery including the development of capital and operational budgets.
- Oversee the development of annual Corporate Services Division work plans and operational budgets.
- Determine and prioritize the draft City budget – operating and capital.
- Review monthly financial reports and where required, take necessary corrective measures to remain within budget.
- Ensure leadership aligns with the City’s strategic and corporate plans as well as values and guiding principles.
- Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to Division staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance management process.
- Manage the daily operations of Corporate Services, setting goals and expectations for the team, making decisions regarding staffing matters, stressing the importance of teamwork, ensuring the overall efficiency of the services provided by the team as a whole.
- Provide the leadership to ensure the efficient and effective ongoing operation of the enterprise-wide programs and services provided by the Division as well as continual enhancements to the programs and their processes.
- Receive and investigate complaints or concerns relative to the delivery of the Division services and ensure appropriate information is provided or appropriate action taken.
- Respond to customer concerns and complaints using tact and understanding.
- Represents the City to select governmental, professional organizations and non-governmental agencies.
- Acts as ambassador for safety and corporate culture for Corporate Services.
- Ensures that an effective balanced approach to public relations is maintained by the Corporate Services Division.
- Acts as the City's key liaison with appropriate agencies including other municipal jurisdictions, provincial departments and community stakeholders regarding matters related to Corporate Services.
- Prepare and deliver presentations, position statements and information sessions to employees, stakeholder groups and City Council as required.
- Post-secondary Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science or equivalent.
- Eighteen (18) to Twenty (20) years of related experience.
- Municipal Administration Certificate Program an asset.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.