Lifeguard/Instructor (Student 2018)
City of Kingston
Lifeguard/Instructor (Student 2018)
Job Number: J0118-0637
Job Code: NOSLFI
Job Category: Student & Interns
Department: Recreation & Leisure Services
Job Type: Student
Employment Type: Replacement
Number of Positions: 9
Length of Time: Ongoing
Hours of Work: Other
Date Posted: January 18, 2018
Closing Date: December 31, 2018
Kingston’s vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
- Supervise and instruct aquatics program participants and be prepared to respond to emergency situations.
- Provide a fun and safe aquatic environment for patrons.
- Prepare lesson plans for all levels and make plans available during lesson times.
- Ensure participants meet the minimum requirements of the Aquatic Admission Standards during all lessons and swims.
- Work as a team member and actively in facility programming.
- Record and submit all forms and documentation including but not limited to: bather load, incident and accident reports, worksheets, progress cards, etc.
- Follow maintenance checklists as assigned and record accomplished tasks including but not limited to periodically conducting walking inspections of change rooms and public areas.
- Attend all training sessions.
- Address all disciplinary, safety issues and complaints involving the public and report to the immediate supervisor.
- Be knowledgeable and enforce all City of Kingston policies and other relevant legislations, including but not limited to Ministry of Health regulations, Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) standards, health and safety, etc.
- Maintain a neat and tidy workspace.
- Represent the City of Kingston and maintain outstanding public relations skill and a professional image at all times.
- Other duties assigned.
- MUST BE ENROLLED IN FULL-TIME SECONDARY OR POST SECONDARY STUDIES; VERIFICATION WILL BE REQUIRED.
- One year experience as a Lifeguard/Instructor.
- National Lifeguard – Pool certification.
- Lifesaving or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification.
- High Five (PHCD) – Principals of Healthy Child Development certification preferred.
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C/AED.
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Proven customer service skills.
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory CPIC (Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Check), at the candidates own expense.
- Hours of operation vary: day, weekends, evenings, and some statutory Holidays.
- Work locations: Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, Tomlinson Aqua Park, or McBurney Wading Pool.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to. We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Apply for this job