Student Librarian (Library Assistant III) - District of West Vancouver
STUDENT LIBRARIAN (LIBRARY ASSISTANT III)(Casual)
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community.
The West Vancouver Memorial Library (WVML) has openings for Student Librarians to work in the Youth Department (with future cross-training opportunities in the Digital Experience and/or Customer & Community Experience Departments). This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about public libraries to work primarily with kids, families and educators.
WVML is known throughout the province for innovation, responsiveness, and leadership. Reporting to the Head of Youth Services, duties will include, but are not limited to (with assistance from a Librarian):
· Assisting kids and families with reader’s advisory and reference at the Youth Department public service desk
· Opportunities to plan and facilitate programming, especially Early Years storytimes and Kids Technology programs
· Assisting patrons of all ages with technology to meet a variety of information needs
As much as possible, we try to align programs and projects with our Student Librarian’s areas of interest and passion, while also providing new experiences and opportunities to grow their resume.
Candidates should be enrolled in a MLIS program and finished the first semester of their MLIS degree by mid-April 2023. Essential requirements are:
· a passion for customer service and connecting young people with library resources and programs
· excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· experience or interest/comfort working with both kids and seniors
· the ability to work well as part of a team
· a strong interest in or previous experience with mobile technology, apps and instructional design
· experience with accessing digital content (ex: e-books, e-audiobooks)
We are looking for Student Librarians who have availability for shifts (including a regular weekly or bi-weekly shift) at least three days during the week, including evenings and weekends.
The successful candidate will be required to supply an acceptable police information check.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on Westnet.
Union (WVMEA) – Casual
Hours of Work:
Hours and days of work may vary. (less than 19 hours per week)
Starting Rate of Pay:
$24.87 per hour (2022 rates) plus 12% in lieu of benefits
(This position has a pay structure with five steps which increase annually.)
11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted