Animal Control Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Officer 1 - Fraser Valley Regional District
Animal Control Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Officer 1
The Fraser Valley Regional District is a local government that delivers over 100 services to residents living in our eight electoral areas and six-member municipalities. We are the third most populous regional district in BC, stretching from Abbotsford to Boston Bar. The Fraser Valley offers a great place to work and live with a mix of rural and urban lifestyles along with an abundance of recreational and cultural opportunities.
We are seeking Animal Control Bylaw & Enforcement Officers I to join our Animal Control Program in Chilliwack. We are looking for highly motivated, independent and animal-savvy individuals. Under the direction of the Animal Welfare and Regulatory Supervisor, you will work as part of a team and be responsible for administering and enforcing animal control bylaws of the Regional District by reliably performing a variety of technical and administrative duties dealing with regulatory and animal-related matters. This can include phone, email and in-person communication with the public and authorities, responding to complaints, issuing and processing tickets and Bylaw Notices, and providing education to the public.
We offer a positive, supportive, team-based work environment with an emphasis on collaboration. If you love working with the public and animals, have a positive, can-do attitude and a keen sense of humour, you will fit right in. Bring your positive energy, ambition and desire to learn, and we’ll take care of the rest.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by Bylaw Compliance, Enforcement and Investigative Skills course (Level I) as offered by the institutions such as Justice Institute of B.C., Animal Control Training Certificate as offered by institutions such as Langara College, and a minimum of 1 year in a similar role, or have an equivalent combination of related education and experience;
- Working knowledge of inspection and investigative work;
- Knowledge of standard animal welfare and humane animal handling practices and methods;
- Ability to quickly acquire operational knowledge of the animal control bylaws and regulations of the Regional District and the applicable sections of the Local Government Act and Community Charter;
- Proficiency in the latest computer technology and programs;
- Ability to deal diplomatically with the public courteously and tactfully;
- Ability to work effectively alone with minimum supervision, and to work well as part of a team;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, dog owners, and staff;
- Ability to lift and carry bulky objects and work in all types of weather;
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including skills in conflict resolution; and
- A valid Driver’s Licence.
The start rate for this full-time union position is $28.90 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package. Upon successful completion of the required six-month probationary period, the rate will increase to $34.00 per hour.
If you have a passion for public service and want to make a difference in the lives of Fraser Valley residents, we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, indicating how you meet the qualifications.
Quote Competition #2022-60 and send in confidence by 4:30 p.m. on December 22, 2022 to email@example.com.
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.