Planning Assistant III - City of Vancouver
Planning Assistant IIIRequisition ID: 34715
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City’s Sustainability Group has a temporary full-time (12 month) opening for a Planning Assistant III. The Planning Assistant III will be responsible for supporting the team that is overseeing implementation of the Climate Emergency Action Plan.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The focus of the work is on supporting communications, engagement and mobilization related to the Climate Emergency Action Plan as well as the City’s Climate Adaptation Strategy. The Planning Assistant III will manage content for the Greenest City social media accounts and newsletter, support project managers in the Sustainability Group and will be expected to take on tasks independently where appropriate.
Work tasks would include the following:
- Supporting public engagement and internal/external stakeholder processes.
- Supporting digital communication plans by executing specific tactics including but not limited to generating social media and monthly newsletter content.
- Undertaking best practice research and contextual analysis.
- Tracking and reporting project progress.
- Organize meetings and events.
- Prepare web and presentation materials.
- Participate in and take minutes for public events and staff meetings.
- Liaise with external partners and/or stakeholders.
- Prepare and administer surveys.
- Collect and manage data.
- Respond to public enquiries.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, preferably supplemented by post-secondary education in sustainability, communications, environmental science, or planning.
- Sound experience in communications and/or public engagement related to environmental issues is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with environmental sustainability and climate issues.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience developing communications materials and managing social media accounts is desirable.
- Graphic design skills and attention to detail are an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal clients and external partners and experience working with diverse stakeholders and interest groups.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and multiple tasks, to meet deadlines.
- Ability to function as a team player while also working individually with minimal supervision.
- Background in any of the Climate Emergency Action Plan focus areas and/or climate change adaptation with demonstrated personal commitment to sustainability is preferred.
- Written and/or verbal language skills beyond English is considered an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: January, 2022
Position End Date: December, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $33.56 to $39.50 per hour
Application Close: December 3, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.