Technical Design Engineer - City of Vancouver
Technical Design EngineerRequisition ID: 30813
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Civil Engineer I in the Sewers Design Branch provides engineering design, project management, contract management, and inspection services during the design and construction of sewer infrastructure projects, establishes sewers requirements for development proposals, and investigates sewer system and drainage problems.
The position reports to the Senior Engineer. Key contacts this position liaises with are staff from other branches within Engineering Services and external utility companies.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes cost effective storm and sanitary sewer infrastructure design for construction by City or private crews
- Provides project management of sewer and multi-disciplinary (sewer, water, streets) capital projects
- Performs field reviews on sewer assets to ensure compliance with sewer standards
- Reviews designs and/or tender documents for storm and sanitary sewer infrastructure capital designs
- Schedules sewer capital projects in consultation with Sewer Operations staff
- Reviews CCTV inspection reports of sewer infrastructure
- Prepares letters and media information related to sewer construction works
- Completes post construction evaluation of project closing task
- Investigates storm events and flooding locations and liaises with Sewer Operations, Risk Management and the public
- Completes rezoning and development application reviews for sewer infrastructure requirements
- Provides direction to sewer staff for separating private property plumbing system and correcting improper plumbing connections
- Communicates and liaises with outside agencies, public, internal branches to discuss sewer system operation
- Other duties/responsibility as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- A minimum of 4 years’ related experience in municipal civil infrastructure design, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a P. Eng with EGBC
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and application of engineering principles related to hydraulics, hydrology and rainwater management
- Knowledge of Organizational Quality Management processes and frameworks
- Strong interpersonal, written communication and organizational skills, including excellent written and verbal communication and report writing
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
- Strong conflict resolution, mediation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability in utility design, construction and project management
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and tact
- Proficient in the use of computer design and modelling software such as PCSWMM, ArcGIS and AutoCAD
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: 05/17/2021
Application Close: June 29, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.