Communications Manager - Media - City of Vancouver
Communications Manager - MediaRequisition ID: 30393
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Communications Manager - Media is the primary communicator for the City in all matters of strategic communications activity, and is responsible for driving content generation and distribution across all platforms including digital and traditional media channels, leading best practices in media relations / news sharing, proactive issues management, and external communication planning for key files.
The Communications Manager - Media leads in the development and implementation of proactive communication programs and strategies from both a corporate and client group perspective. Works closely with the Director and other Communication centers of expertise to deliver, implement and support an integrated and complimentary approach to all communication efforts within the City.
The Communications Manager – Media reports to the Director, Civic Engagement & Communications and is responsible for a team of communications professionals that provides strategic advice and counsel for proactive and reactive communications both at the corporate/City-wide and departmental level. This position will work closely with organization’s senior executives, client departments, communications staff and outside contractors.
- Proactively identifies emerging issues and opportunities on a regular basis, and recommends appropriate communications approaches.
- Develops, builds and maintains excellent working relationships and understanding within the team, various internal clients and stakeholders.
- A strategic partner to the assigned business units and leads the development of communications strategies addressing complex and varied organizational projects, priorities and issues.
- Ensures that team members understand the departments/organization’s priorities and goals and how their roles link to these priorities and goals.
- Brokers/coordinates required communication services from communications centres of expertise or external sources as required.
- Provides leadership, direction and supervision in the development and execution of communications plans and initiatives in support of the City priorities and initiatives.
- Directs integrated communication strategies and execution and uses data to drive decision-making based on evaluating successes/learnings and strategic insights.
- Manages budgets and processes to successfully execute initiatives in a timely manner.
- Develops and oversees the design and implementation of complex and specialized corporate communications initiatives.
- Provides leadership and supervision to staff, including hiring and termination, discipline, performance and attendance management, coaching, training and development. Inspires, motivates, guides ad directs all staff
- Provides coaching on a timely basis; develops goals and expectation, identifies training and development for subordinate staff
- Meets with employees to resolve disputes and administers appropriate collective agreements, hears grievance meetings at step 1 of the grievance process and in consultation with superiors has the authority to resolve grievances at that step
- Manages cross-functional teams to execute the communications strategies and plans for the City’s major initiatives including the development of tools and tactics.
- Utilizes all existing communication tools and tactics and implements new methods as well, to ensure that messages are communicated effectively.
- Responsible for the development, handling and distribution of sensitive information to senior management in a timely manner.
- Fosters trust and credibility through ongoing, clear, accurate, open, timely and two-way communication with external audiences.
- Provides regular instruction to junior communications staff to ensure consistency in the services provided by the communications department.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications is preferred
- A minimum 8 years of experience in progressively senior communications roles in organizational or internal employee communications portfolio
- 5 years’ experience managing employees, project teams and contractors, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with and passion for dealing with multiple, high-profile and complex issues on a daily basis.
- Experience with proactively managing an organization’s reputation in the social media realm high awareness of emerging trends and best practices in social media, corporate and media issues management
- Ability to demonstrate a basic understanding of Search and Social Media Marketing, and how it affects the larger online marketing strategy.
- Strong experience with multi-media production, media strategy and understanding a traditional and social media mix to drive engagement and awareness .
- Familiarity with and deep understanding of the Vancouver and B.C. media market, including multilingual and cultural media
- Excellent knowledge about local government operations and processes
- Extensive knowledge in developing and executing strategic communications plans
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
- Ability to communicate effectively; foster high standards; coach; inspire and manage multi-disciplinary teams in a fast-paced, performance-focused environment using excellent interpersonal, visual design, presentation and written skills.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects and teams
- Strong relationship building skills and providing advice to senior executives
- Ability to make decisions and organize thoughts under time and budget constraints
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset.
- Able to diplomatically ask questions, challenge and suggest alternative strategies and approaches
- Self-starter and critical thinker
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2021
Application Close: June 30, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.