Manager Economic Development - City of Coquitlam
Manager Economic DevelopmentRegular Full Time (Exempt)
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state- of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
Good people make the City of Coquitlam a great place to be! We are excited to announce that we are looking for a Manager Economic Development to join our team. The successful applicant for this position will have the opportunity to shape Coquitlam’s future by working with our Deputy City Manager and Council to develop Coquitlam’s economic development strategy. This is a unique opportunity to engage in innovative and forward thinking policy to support a growing business and residential community. As the Manager Economic Development, you will be responsible for providing advice and guidance to senior management and elected officials on economic development strategies and for developing and implementing economic development programs across the City with a focus on integration of policy and actions that target improving the City’s economic well being; including diversifying the local economy, creating local employment, supporting tourism and increasing the City’s tax base. In this role, you will work with a variety of City departments to promote economic development in an effort to attract and retain businesses to and in the City. As a creative leader in this role you will identify obstacles to economic development and recommend changes to policies, bylaws and procedures. This will involve liaising with internal and external customers, established business groups and associations and at times other levels of government, or the general public.
This exciting role requires both an understanding of economic development programs and the corporate direction of the City. The successful candidate will showcase excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders. The Manager Economic Development role is an opportunity for an innovative individual to explore and promote emerging items in economic development and to act as a liaison for the business community and support the growth of new commercial business investments within our municipality to ensure a healthy commercial base.
In addition to a Bachelors Degree in Business, Public Administration, and/or another relevant discipline, you preferably possess a minimum of 7 years of related experience. Municipal or regional government experience would be considered an asset and you will bring a balanced blend of technical and corporate expertise. The high-level energy and the leadership demands of this position will be compensated with an attractive salary, excellent benefits and a great deal of job satisfaction.
- Experience leading and directing the preparation of innovative strategies, plans and studies on matters impacting local businesses in the City including the impacts of bylaws, policies and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have impacts to the business community and the attractiveness of the City
- Strong understanding of the local business community.
- Experience leading/directing staff on divisional strategies and business plan objectives
- Track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment centred around team focused, fast-paced workplace design.
- Strong financial skills through experience managing operational budgets and analyzing expenditures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with colleagues, members of the public and the local business community.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to identify and interpret emerging issues.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
- Experience working within or alongside local government teams, other public sector organizations and external stakeholders such as commercial businesses will be considered an asset.
Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55pm February 12, 2021.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.