Manager, Government Relations
Manager, Government Relations
Full Time Regular
$84,600 - $114,000
Placement in the salary range is determined by an assessment of knowledge, skills, experience and ability of the candidate to meet the key requirements of the job. In addition, our pay philosophy is to align with the median of the range and be considerate of internal equity comparisons.
We love that our head office is in Victoria and we bet you do too! We are happy you have decided to explore a career with BC Transit, this is a great city to work and live in. We are passionate about helping reduce congestion in the city and providing a public service to everyone in BC (except for Metro Vancouver). We have innovative new bus lanes being installed from Colwood to Downtown in both directions, real time GPS being installed in the full fleet across the province and we are beginning to explore mobile payment options among other things. It is an exciting time to be in the transit industry and we are looking for fun, creative, passionate people to join our amazing team. Not only would you work with an incredible team, you would also receive great benefits and a pension plan to boot. Keep reading to find out if this role makes you feel excited to come to work each day!
BC Transit’s Operations Division is responsible for the delivery of transit service throughout the Province outside of Metro Vancouver. The Regional Transit Systems department serves as the central liaison to our local government funding partners and manages the transit services delivered by contracted service providers.
The Manager of Government Relations serves as the central point of contact to external stakeholders and is responsible for the overall perception, influence and understanding of BC Transit’s shared service performance for their assigned region of the province. A pivotal liaison role, the Government Relations Manager leverages their effective working relationships with internal departments, local and provincial government, transit operating companies, local business and community associations to monitor, understand, influence and disseminate partner satisfaction levels.
- Leads the development and implementation of strategic stakeholder engagement including establishing positive and productive relationships with senior levels of municipal, regional, and provincial government as well as other key stakeholders including transit operating company management and local committee organizations.
- Acts as a representative of BC Transit, presenting information and viewpoints on high risk, highly political and sensitive issues to key stakeholders as appropriate, including senior government officials, elected officials, the public and business community.
- Supports the successful completion of BC Transit’s shared services project deliverables through the effective coordination of cross-departmental efforts to align, where possible, with the expectations of external partners and stakeholders.
- Oversees stakeholder feedback to ensure the positive perception of BC Transit systems throughout the province and, where necessary, identifies and mitigates potential issues from escalation.
- Collaborates effectively with local government partners, elected officials and BC Transit staff to ensure the timely dissemination of accurate supporting information and documentation (such as local service and capital plans, fares and operating agreements, budgets and formal reports) with regards to decision-making by council; communicates corporate policies to local partners.
- Monitors and communicates the overall performance of transit systems in their region(s), identifying local transit needs and business opportunities, aligning strategies with local government partners and securing the appropriate resources to be engaged to achieve established goals.
- Creates and develops comprehensive briefing materials on high risk, sensitive issues, providing relevant information for decision making to the CEO, Senior Management and key stakeholders.
- Plays a key role in a variety of committees, working groups and other related forums to address stakeholder relations priorities and issues including acting as a senior advisor or chairing committees, managing issues in public forums, sharing information with the public and assessing trends.
- Contributes as a member of the department management team in monitoring and anticipating/identifying program and reputational risks to BC Transit, its leadership, and local government partners; Provides expert advice including preparing reports and recommendations to facilitate positive outcomes.
- Stays current on local and regional political, economic, environmental, social, and cultural issues, opportunities and barriers that may effect public transit in the region, BC Transit strategic direction and/or operations.
- Other duties as required.
Post secondary diploma or degree in Political Science, Communications, Business or a related discipline
- A minimum five (5) years progressive managerial experience in stakeholder and intergovernmental relations. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Proven experience in a multi stakeholder environment advancing programs and initiatives through superior relationship building and client management skills.
- Sound project management skills, business acumen an asset.
- A demonstrated knowledge of public transit operations, particularly key cost drivers, is preferable.
- Must be willing to travel
- Must have driver’s license in good standing
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- A Post Offer Employment Test (POET) may be required as part of the onboarding process
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
- We reserve the right to close the online vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible
BC TRANSIT OFFERS
- Life Insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program – Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)