Supervisor 2 - Urban Forest
Supervisor 2 - Urban Forest
Parks, Recreation & Culture
Regular Full-time - CUPE
$37.91 per hour
August 16, 2020
Do you have a “can do attitude”, excellent communication skills both written and spoken, excellent interpersonal skills, a team player and have exceptional customer service skills? Then we have the perfect opportunity for you.
This is skilled arborist work at the working supervisory level involving organizing and supervising the work of a group of subordinates engaged in a variety of skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled arborist tasks. An employee of this class works under minimal supervision and exercises independent judgement and action in planning and directing routine tree care operations, however, policy matters and complex problems are referred to a superior. Work performance is evaluated in terms of effective working supervisory services rendered.
Education & Experience:
A Completion of a diploma program in Horticulture including or supplemented by courses in arboriculture or a related apprenticeship program, completion of recognized training courses in tree climbing and structural tree pruning including Pesticide Applicator Certification and Industry Training Authority (ITA)
Certification as Field Arborist, plus sound related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
A little bit about you!
- Considerable knowledge of rules, methods, tools and equipment, polices, practices, procedures, regulations and bylaws governing the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of arboriculture and urban forestry principles, practices and techniques, including tree risk assessment, tree species, diseases, pests and treatment methods.
- Ability to develop, implement and coordinate arboriculture plans, policies and procedures and arboriculture care standards.
- Ability to conduct inspections, assess tree related problems, diagnose tree diseases, and determine required action.
- Ability to perform skilled arboricultural work including pruning, planting and removal as required, and upon approval to schedule required work.
- Ability to direct the work of one or more subordinates engages in arboricultural work and to coordinate and oversee the work of contracted and city work crews.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to provide technical information and assistance, and deal tactfully and courteously with others on contentious issues.
- Ability to respond to complaints, to identify the nature of tree related problems, and to initiate action to resolve same.
- Ability to effectively communicate viewpoints and recommendations orally and in writing and to prepare reports and correspondence related to a variety of park tree issues, urban tree issues, forest tree issues, concerns, practices and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret scaled technical drawings such as landscape, architectural, and related civil, electrical and structural engineering plans.
- Skilled in the use and care of equipment used in the work.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and GIS software.
Licenses & Certificates
- Certification as an Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture.
- International Society of Arboriculture Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ).
- Driver's Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
This position will assist in the Supervision of other staff. Providing advice, guidance and direction to staff.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required as a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
What We Offer:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.