Budget Accounting Analyst
Budget Accounting Analyst
This regular, full-time (35 hours per week) position is available earliest October 28, 2019.
Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. but may include some evenings and Saturdays.
This position is based out of the Coquitlam campus but travel between campuses may be required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
The Budget Accounting Analyst (BA) provides exceptional client-centered service on a consistent basis with all stakeholder groups and ensures accuracy and timeliness of reporting.
The BA provides bookkeeping and other accounting services for the Training Group department of Douglas College.
The key functions of the Budget Accounting Analyst are:
- track project revenues and expenses;
- help to prepare and update project budgets;
- prepare financial reporting to funders as per contract requirements;
- track client disbursements.
1. Develops and maintains accounting data and records for the Training Group (TG) projects and self-funded activities:
- monitors budgets and expenditures for completeness of detail, accuracy of contents and adherence to contracts;
- prepares monthly internal accounting reports to provide information, to identify variances from budget and to research reasons for variances;
- initiates and prepares billings for partners which includes collection of data, reconciliation of budgets to actual expenditures and performs research on information to be able to seek clarification and correction of discrepancies with Program Manager;
- provides accounting and budgeting support to Training Group managers;
- ensures correctness and completeness of information and data flow;
- works closely with Finance department staff in areas of payroll, accounts payable and data entry to ensure timely and accurate flow of information;
- maintains related journals, general ledger, cash receipts, cash disbursements, bank reconciliations and tracks accounts receivable.
2. Provides analysis of salaried and non-salaried expenditures to support managers and assist Finance department managers:
- in collaboration with Program Managers, projects expected annual expenditures based upon current and historical spending patterns and known contract changes;
3. Performs other related duties:
- monitors, analyzes and reconciles Training Group accounts as required up to and including year-end working papers;
- communicates with outside agencies and auditors as required;
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Completion of a two year accounting program at a recognized institution with a minimum of two (2) years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles);
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good working knowledge of the English language (written and verbal);
- Knowledge and experience with financial reporting for government funded programs.
- A demonstrated ability to:
- accurately enter data into a variety of software programs;
- establish priorities and consistently achieve tight deadlines.
- work independently, and as part of a team, with minimum direct supervision;
- recognize, analyze and resolve problems;
- communicate courteously and effectively in person, in writing and over the telephone with students, faculty, staff, ministry officials, administrators, and the public;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with various departments, employees and external agencies;
- use MS Excel at an intermediate level, navigate a variety of databases and proficiently utilize accounting software.
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter is submitted online. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
All candidates interviewed will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.