Regular Full Time, 40 hours per week
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Engineering & Municipal Operations Department, Parks Division, seeks an individual with outstanding leadership skills, work ethic and a safety first attitude to join their team. The Parks team is like a family who have a shared passion for horticulture and arboriculture. The successful applicant will have a balance of technical knowledge and proven leadership skills. The Parks Foreman is responsible for planning, assigning and reviewing the work of staff engaged in a variety of skilled, semi-skilled technical horticultural and arboricultural work.
- Completion of a diploma program in horticulture plus considerable related experience preferable in a municipal setting; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable experience with progressive leadership, coaching, mentoring and engaging productive teams.
- Journeyman Certificate in Horticulture or equivalent certificate.
- Pesticide Application License.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in horticultural and arboricultural operations related to the work.
- Thorough knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions related to the work.
- Considerable knowledge of plant specimens, tree species, diseases and integrated pest management methods.
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, bylaws and departmental rules, regulations and procedures applicable to the work.
- Ability to plan, assign, review and supervise the work of subordinates, and oversee the work of contractors.
- Ability to develop annual and perennial planting programs, tree-planting programs, turf management, fertilization and watering schedules.
- Ability to review and advise on horticultural and arboricultural matters as requested by other departments
- Ability to read blueprints, sketches, plans and diagrams.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports related to the work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts, and to investigate and respond to complaints.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license
- Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check.
The annual salary of this unionized position is $81,084 (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and certificates for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: 4:30p.m., Friday, August 21, 2020
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Subject Line: 2020-29