Development Engineering Manager
One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
Development Engineering Manager
Reporting to the Director of Community Planning & Development, the Development Engineering Manager plays a key role in setting and carrying out the annual work program of the development engineering division. Working as part of the department’s leadership team, the Development Engineering Manager will be responsible for implementing and updating the Subdivision and Development Standards Bylaw; providing technical input into land use plans; managing the engineering aspects of complex development files; preparing development-related legal agreements; providing oversight for development files requiring geotechnical review; and improving development application procedures. The Development Engineering Manager will also be involved with responding to requests from the Mayor’s Office and/or the City Manager’s Office and attending meetings with executive staff as required, including meetings regarding confidential and/or labour relations matters.
Working in a supervisory capacity, the Development Engineering Manager will assign and review work by providing staff support and training, and establishing clear and consistent procedures. The incumbent will provide technical advice and direction to staff, assist with problem resolution and respond to community enquiries and complaints in a professional and courteous manner. Communicating with the public, land developers and other government agencies is a key component of this senior level position, and you will develop effective working relationships with City Council, employees, other departments, agencies, the private sector, and the public. You have strong proven negotiation, mediation, and facilitation skills as well as a demonstrated commitment to change and process management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ethic of service to the community and to the staff team in this key leadership role;
- Ability to provide oversight and direction to the development engineering section within the Community Planning & Development Department, working collaboratively with the Engineering Department;
- Strong technical background to provide advice and assist in processing of land development and subdivision applications and delivery of civic projects as required, including identification of engineering servicing and transportation requirements consistent with Delta bylaws and practices, review of geotechnical reports and evaluation of impacts of development within steep slope sites, drafting of legal agreements, including servicing agreements and covenants, and administration of financial fees and deposits;
- Excellent communication, organizational and prioritization skills, including ability to clearly communicate with applicants, and consulting engineers on development files;
- Ability to clearly present written and verbal information, manage complex problems to resolution, and develop effective working relationships with City Council, employees, other departments, agencies, the private sector, and the public;
- Ability to manage unionized staff and to deal effectively with all levels of staff and internal and external contacts.
- University degree in Engineering or a related discipline;
- Professional Engineer designation enhanced by progressive experience in the area of land development and engineering servicing;
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in a supervisory/management role in the development engineering field, preferably in a municipal setting;
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary (commensurate with experience); and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition number 20-80 EX by September 7, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted. Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
City of Delta
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent,
Delta, BC V4K 3E2