The Okanagan Lifestyle Is Calling!
Competition No. 20-44E
Opens July 28, 2020
Closes August 17, 2020
West Kelowna is an emerging city where opportunity awaits in the spectacular Okanagan Valley. Captivating lakes and mountains, orchards and vineyards provide countless recreational opportunities. Find your life balance here and grow your career with us. Live and work in a place that Maclean’s Magazine has named one of the best places to live in Canada. Spend weekends wine tasting, picking fresh locally grown produce, mountain biking through stately pine forests or swimming or kayaking in beautiful Okanagan Lake. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, numerous employee wellness incentives, an earned time off program and professional development opportunities. West Kelowna is calling! We love it here… and we are certain you will too!
This position is an integral role in the Planning and Development team, which is responsible for managing wide range of development related applications within the City. As the Development Technician, you will assist the team in implementing the City’s goals to deliver high quality community development with a focus on internal and external customer service. You’ll be responsible for:
- Assisting the team in responding to Planning related inquiries;
- Assisting in the processing of Planning applications and referrals;
- Ensuring public notifications and advertisements are conducted in accordance with Provincial legislation.
- Providing administrative and technical support in the preparation of bylaws and policies;
- Providing records management and updating the City website for the Planning and Development team;
- Updating and providing advice on the development and streamlining of systems, processes, checklists, and procedures for department;
- Compiling statistical data and analytics highlighting team successes to Council;
In addition, this position is key to delivering the City’s development application tracking software. This software ensures development applications are tracked internally and available to the public via the CityView Portal. This role will:
- Analyze problems/needs of the software and make appropriate changes and recommendations on configuration;
- Review and assess and making recommendations on new version releases and changes to the CityView software;
- Lead staff in testing/validating the system following a system upgrades and liaise with the CityView team;
- Review, assess and implement continued improvements to the system to meet and improve internal processes and future demands;
- Provide support and training to end users (Development Services and other departments);
- Manage and maintain the Public Portal
- Grade 12 education, plus completion of a 1 year certificate in Planning or local government related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a related position;
- Extensive knowledge of local land use policies and regulations as well as provincial and federal legislation related to planning;
- Aptitude for working with computer software;
- Experience with development tracking software (i.e. CityView) would be an asset;
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and basic knowledge of Geographic Information Mapping Systems (GIS);
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability;
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- High attention to detail
Pay $32.68/hr @ 35hr/wk, M-F
Please apply online at www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.