July 23, 2020
August 23, 2020
Under the supervision of the Chief Building Inspector, this position provides inspection services for a wide variety of construction, alteration, and repair projects regarding compliance with BC Building and Plumbing Codes, local government bylaws, regulations, and design guidelines, as well as processing permits and enforcing bylaws.
- Contributes to the success of our team and creation of our community, by fostering the District of Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every day.
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding Service.
- Responds to staff and public inquiries regarding building inspection services including technical information, regarding codes, regulations, and bylaws, and inspection calls.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews building plans and liaises with associated building professionals and agencies as necessary regarding compliance with BC Building and Plumbing Codes, local government bylaws, regulations and design guidelines to process permits accurately.
- Liaises with other departments within the District government, including Fire, Bylaw Enforcement, Planning, and Engineering to ensure a coordinated and consistent application of the District’s bylaws, regulations, and processes.
- Reviews site plans, site grading and drainage, and service connections to ensure conformance with municipal standards.
- Processes building, plumbing, and sign permits and performs field inspections related to compliance with BC Building and Plumbing Codes, local government bylaws, regulations and design guidelines.
- Processes business licenses and performs business license inspections regarding compliance with municipal bylaws and regulations, and Provincial regulation.
- Prepares reports regarding enforcement on non-compliance and attends Board of Variance.
- Develops policies and procedures in area of responsibility and occasionally prepares Reports to Council.
- Keeps current with any code changes or amendments as passed by the provincial government.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of BC Building and Plumbing Codes, local government bylaws, regulations, and design guidelines.
- Possesses a working knowledge of the Local Government Act and the Community Charter and know how it applies to Building Officials.
- Ability to read complex architectural, engineering, and legal plans and applicable specifications.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage and perform multiple duties simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to deal with people in a professional and courteous manner in difficult circumstances.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work safely and in compliance with the District of Squamish Health and Safety Policy, WorkSafe BC, and WHMIS guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office, Word, and Excel and various building related software applications.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Grade 12 Diploma
- A Journeyman’s Ticket in Carpentry or a Diploma from a technical institute in Building Technology
- Possession of a valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License with a safe driving record
- Certified Level II Building Inspector (B.C. Building Inspector’s Association)
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a Building Inspector
- Level 1 certification with the Plumbing Officials Association of BC an asset or registered with the POABC and scheduled to write exam
- An equivalent combination of education and experience
Hours of Work:
Casual/On Call, shifts range Monday to Friday, between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm
$40.90 per hour
This is a Union position within the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 2269 and the District of Squamish.
Direct Your Application (Quoting Competition #20-53) To:
Human Resources District of Squamish
37955 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 310,
Squamish, B.C., V8B 0A3