General Manager, Municipal Services
General Manager, Municipal Services
Reporting to the City Manager, the General Manager, Municipal Services oversees and directs the planning, development, coordination and implementation of Municipal Services including Public Works (Transportation, Parks, and Fleet), Utilities, Waste Management & Recycling, Planning & Engineering, and the Airport.
The General Manager, Municipal Services provides technical advice to the City Manager, to Council and to other City department heads; provides leadership and direction to managers and employees within their department; oversees preparation and implementation of the department’s short-term and long-range plans, strategic plans and emergency plans; oversees the planning, design and construction of Capital projects incorporating stakeholders; prepares and presents reports, policies, bylaws, etc. to Council and to the public; prepares and monitors the department’s operational and capital budgets; and reviews and coordinates work done by consultants and contractors.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership to the Public Works, Parks, Utilities, Fire and Enforcement Services Departments and participates with the City Manager and Council to develop a strategic plan and guide for City development and growth.
- Identifies, assesses and makes recommendations to the City Manager on internal and external issues that impact the City.
- Manages and supervises assigned operations to achieve goals within available resources; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans and projects within areas of responsibility; gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
- Provides professional advice to City Manager and makes recommendations and presentations to Council, civic groups and the general public.
- Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; performs cost control activities; monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control; prepares annual budget requests; assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
- Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and standards for efficient and effective operation and maintenance of department operations. Assures compliances with established policies and procedures. Reviews programs and procedures to ensure that they are current and relevant.
- Responds to public inquiries about areas of responsibility and related programs by telephone, correspondence, or during public meetings. Resolve complex and sensitive customer service issues, either personally, by telephone or in writing.
- Oversees capital reinvestment projects including the preparation of engineering plans and specifications, budgets, tendering, evaluating competency of contractors and vendors, and the selection criteria for public contracts within assigned areas.
- Provides an annual state of infrastructure repot.
- Performs project management for the development and construction of municipal infrastructure. Oversees assigned projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters for the project.
- Maintains regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding division activities and services.
- Provides technical support to other city departments as required.
- Develop objectives and set annual performance expectations and supervise activities of direct reports. Provide on-going feedback regarding job performance, mentoring and coaching to direct report.
- Identifies and supports learning and development opportunities that enhance organizational effectiveness and aligns with the City’s strategic plan.
- Adheres to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the City of Wetaskiwin Health and Safety Management System.
- Actively participate in the City Emergency Management program and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A degree in civil engineering with standing membership APEGA, or a combination of a CET and demonstrated experience, supplemented with extensive management and/or leadership training.
- Enrollment or completion of the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration Program is desired.
- Eight to ten years of administrative leadership experience at a senior level preferably in a municipal setting.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Ardyce Kouri or Sonny Kapoor
Leaders International Executive Search
Suite 501 Fox One
10226 – 104 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1B8