Rodman 2(Temporary Full-Time Position)
If you are civic minded and interested in making an impact on people and businesses on the beautiful North Shore, consider working for the District of North Vancouver.
Home to vast parkland and attractions including Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon and Capilano Suspension Bridge, the District is inspired by nature, and enriched by people. The District offers exciting professional development opportunities and a competitive total compensation package. This is an exciting time to join the District, as we embark on a range of initiatives to transform digital service delivery, customer experience, and our approach to climate action.
Our Engineering Surveys department has a temporary summer position for a Rodman 2 to join the team. This is technical and manual work assisting the Instrumentman in all aspects of conducting varied survey assignments. The incumbent participates in all aspects of Rodman 1 duties; checks the calculations of the Instrumentman; operates all survey instruments; and assumes charge of a survey crew in the absence of the Instrumentman. The Rodman 2 exercises some independence of judgement and action within established guidelines and procedures, referring more difficult matters to a superior who reviews work performance in terms of effective assistance rendered in all aspects of surveying activities.
The successful applicant must possess:
- Working knowledge of the methods, techniques and equipment used in Municipal survey work, along with a working knowledge of engineering mathematics, construction methods and engineering practices;
- Ability to perform more complex and responsible Rodman work to assist a superior in performing a variety of survey duties, and take charge of a survey crew when required;
- Ability to check and index field notes, to prepare and check calculations, and to reduce field notes;
- Ability to operate a transit and level instruments as required;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, and to exercise tact and diplomacy in relating to members of the public.
Completion of the 12th grade, supplemented by sound related experience, preferably as a Rodman 1, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence is required.
The pay range for this unionized position is $25.31 to $29.74 per hour (2019 rates) based on a 37.5-hour work week. If you have what we are looking for and enjoy working in a fast paced environment with a group of enthusiastic and dedicated people, we want to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your resume and cover letter at careers.dnv.org by August 4, 2020.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.