Hamlet Operations Foreman
Hamlet Operations Foreman
The Hamlet Operations Foreman is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all Wheatland County maintained infrastructure and underground utilities within Wheatland County hamlets. The Foreman is also responsible for the maintenance and snow clearing / grading of the roads, sidewalks, and alleys within the hamlets located in the County.
The Hamlet Operations Foreman is also responsible for ensuring that Wheatland County operated waste transfer sites are maintained and kept in a satisfactory condition. As well, the Foreman ensures that the landscaping requirements of the municipal controlled land in the hamlets is maintained including grass cutting, correcting drainage issues, and tree / shrub trimming.
The Hamlet Operations Foreman has the following direct reports: Seasonal Hamlet Labourer, Seasonal Summer Student, Parks Operator, Hamlet Maintenance Operator, and Waste Transfer Site Coordinator.
- As a supervisor with direct reports, participate in the recruitment and selection process, conduct new employee onboarding / orientation, train, coach, performance manage, participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations, participate in employees’ career development, and actively participate in other corporate-endorsed human resource management processes and procedures.
- Coordinate the replacement or repair of major water, wastewater and storm mains, manholes, and associated works.
- Participate in the replacing or repair of minor line breaks, as required.
- Participate in the replacing or repair of water and sewer valves and curb stops, as required.
- Participate in the thawing of frozen service lines.
- Assess underground service and utility distribution problems.
- Oversee the maintenance of streets, sidewalks, and alleys in hamlets and waste transfer sites including grading and snow clearing.
- Conduct tree trimming and landscaping operations within the hamlets and waste transfer sites.
- Oversee grass cutting operations at all municipal operated sites.
- Operate heavy equipment including track hoe, back hoe, skid steer, grader, packers, loader and hydro-vac, as required.
- Submit monthly reports to the Manager of Utilities for inclusion in Council updates.
- Document trouble areas and inform the Manager of any necessary repairs.
- Oversee the operations of all waste transfer sites; ensure waste transfer site facilities are kept in appropriate and safe condition.
- Perform minor culvert replacements and grading of ditches.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Maintain own compliance with OH&S and ensure all applicable employees are in compliance with OH&S including employee attendance at regular safety tailgate meetings, employees being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring employees complete work in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., review and authorize time sheets for direct reports; prepare weekly reports).
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, ratepayers, and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Valid Class 1 Alberta drivers’ licence
- 3 years’ experience driving similar vehicles and hauling similar commodities is preferred
- Possess Safe Trenching and Excavating ticket
- Possess Confined Space Entry certification
- Related experience and education along with supervisory experience
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with other team members, the public / County citizens, external agencies, etc.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment including grader, track hoe, back hoe, skid steer, grader, grade laser, packers, loader, and hydro-vac
- Approximately) April – November (Summer Season) – Monday to Friday; 10 hours / day; 7:00 am-5:00 pm; (Approximately) December – March (Winter Season) – Monday to Friday; 8 hours / day; 8:00 am-4:30 pm
- Occasional overtime may be required including working on weekends
To learn more about employment with Wheatland County and to apply online, please visit www.wheatlandcounty.ca/careers.
Qualified candidates are invited to email their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
HWY 1 RR 1
Strathmore, AB, T1P 1J6
Wheatland County thanks all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.