School District No. 72 (Campbell River)
School District No. 72 (Campbell River)
THE COMMUNITY AND SCHOOL DISTRICT
Campbell River is a scenic, oceanfront community framed by extensive waterfront, west coast forests and snow-capped mountains. As the largest employer in the Campbell River area, the school district is known for its commitment to professional development and sense of ‘family’ amongst colleagues.
School District 72 (Campbell River) is actively recruiting for the full-time excluded position of Assistant Secretary-Treasurer/Controller, responsible for assisting the Secretary-Treasurer with the management of financial, payroll, accounting, and purchasing services; and, student information management for School District 72. This includes facilitating budget processes; conducting financial analysis and preparing financial and Ministry of Education reports; developing and implementing effective controls for accounting, payroll and data management systems; managing those systems and maintaining accurate and current records.
The Assistant Secretary-Treasurer/Controller will also provide leadership and supervision to Accounts Payable and Payroll staff; and, oversee the training and professional development of all the casual clerical staff in the District relating to finance and student information.
The District has an annual operating budget of over 67 million and responsibility for a facilities budget of over 1.2 million. This position offers a rewarding and motivating work environment, as effective financial management supports the achievement of personal excellence for all members of the District’s learning community.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Assisting with the operating budget preparation and provides periodic reports to the Secretary-Treasurer on the comparison of budget to actual expenditures;
- Preparing the annual financial statements and the quarterly (GRE) reports and coordinating the annual audit;
- Establishing and maintaining financial systems and internal controls in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and Ministry of Education requirements;
- Managing and coordinating the School District’s student information system; and,
- Liaising with management and district staff on the provision of financial information and preparing a variety of financial reports for School District departments.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL HAVE:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and completion of the CPA Accounting program (CA, CGA or CMA);
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a financial reporting/supervisory position within a public or private organization, preferably in public education;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team-building skills with the ability to build strong working relationships with individuals at all levels in the organization;
- Experience working and managing a team within a unionized environment is desirable;
- Thorough working knowledge of computer applications and information technology as they relate to school district or public sector finance;
- Strong initiative and problem solving skills to develop options for the resolution of complex financial issues; and,
- Superior analytical skills relating to financial data and reports.
As a senior position within the School District, the position will have an appropriate salary and benefit package. The start date for this position is expected to be early Fall 2020.
Interested candidates are invited to apply through Make a Future https://bit.ly/2BntSmF
In the event of challenges with the Make a Future website, candidates may contact Make a Future directly for assistance at 1-877-900-5627; or, 1-866-806-6851. Candidates may contact the Human Resources Department at SD72 at 250-830-2311; or, visit our office at 425 Pinecrest Road in Campbell River for assistance.
Alternatively, you may email your application package to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until the posting is filled.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, starting at
3 p.m. (PST) Friday, August 14, 2020
Please address cover letter to:
Yves Vachon, Director, Human Resources
All candidates are thanked for their applications; however, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.