Supervisor Legislative Services
Supervisor Legislative ServicesPosition Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Board & Information Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Board & Information Services Department is seeking a Supervisor Legislative Services who is responsible for coordinating corporate standards, board policies, corporate correspondence, meeting management processes and technology, records management, office administration, and special projects.
You are: a self-starter who is an organized, technical minded, detailed and observant, team player who thrives in a busy, process oriented environment.
The Supervisor Legislative Services reports to the Manager, Legislative Services and falls within our Corporate Support, Level 3 job family.
- Responsible for coordinating corporate standards, board policies, corporate correspondence, meeting management processes and technology, records management, office administration, and special projects.
- Responsible for development, documentation, communication and training of staff on various Corporate Standards. Leads and/or assists with assigned projects such as creating standards and processes around bylaw management, improving vault documents and processes, and agenda standardization processes.
- Manages Corporate and Board policies, ensuring staff are informed of changes; keeps current on external forces, legislation and internal changes which could affect policies and advises the responsible party for review.
- Manages the Corporate Correspondence program, ensuring appropriate handling of incoming correspondence, draft agreements and vault document submissions for BIS and CAO groups. Collaborates with staff to develop effective processes for managing incoming correspondence and delegation and monitoring of outgoing correspondence. Responsible for maintenance of various trackers, such as for correspondence, Committee, Committee/Board Coordinators, and Corporate Memberships list.
- Acts as record liaison for BIS and establishes records management practices and standards, ensuring practices are consistently adhered to and in accordance with corporate standards.
- Collaborates with staff regarding records management practices and standards. Contributes to standards testing, web development and records information management testing.
- Supervises and provides operational administrative oversight to the office in order to maintain an organized, efficient workplace, purchasing office furniture, supplies and services as necessary and anticipates physical assets, equipment costs and upcoming needs.
- Responsible for scheduling, coordination and support of board meetings. Responsible for meeting logistics; tracking of agenda items; preparation, distribution and posting of agenda packages and supporting materials; creating and/or editing of Committee reports; creating, editing and distributing meeting minutes; delegation and tracking of committee actions/tasks; liaising with Committee members and delegates; and attending all Committee meetings.
- Hires, supervises, directs and develops Legislative Services Assistants monitoring performance towards division, department, and corporate objectives; ensures staff adhere to corporate workplace conduct and policies. Leads, coaches, and develops staff recognizing the importance of technical and safety training.
- Works as a team leader, facilitator and consensus builder. Encourages employee involvement in decision making and provides constructive and motivating feedback to staff.
- Supports the Manager, Legislative Services, as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5-10 years of recent, related experience supplemented by high school graduation and completion of a two-year diploma in a relevant field such as office, business or local government administration; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of complex office administration practices, procedures and standard protocols. Sound ability to address non-routine administrative requirements and provide practical solutions. Excellent skills and abilities related to calendar management, document and presentation preparation.
- Considerable knowledge of Metro Vancouver’s functions, structure, objectives and policies.
- Considerable understanding and knowledge of Metro Vancouver’s corporate standards and corporate standard protocols.
- Ability to work under broad direction and achieve goals and objectives. Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, meet deadlines, adapt to frequently changing priorities and deliver high quality work under considerable time constraints. Ability to use judgment to resolve problems by adapting or applying procedures to address issues and problem situations. Demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Superior business writing skills including an adept ability to proof-read and edit documents and draft non-routine correspondence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that may be highly sensitive and challenging.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, confidentiality and discretion for sensitive matters. Sound ability to guide others on the same.
- Ability to effectively supervise, coach and guide direct reports. Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with disagreements, prevent the escalation of conflict and provide constructive and motivating feedback to staff. Ability to interpret and consistently apply corporate policies and collective agreements.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Technically savvy and able to navigate and easily adapt to new computer programs.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 14, 2020
National Education Award
Civicjobs.ca supports education in the Local Government sector.
Tools & Resources
Canada's #1 Local Government job posting website.
Postings by Email
Receive email alerts, or sign up for our weekly e-bulletin.