Street Use Inspector
Street Use InspectorRequisition ID: 15879
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Street Use Management Branch supports and manages the use of the public realm by external parties to support business, and provide a lively and vibrant streetscape.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for administering one or more of the City’s sidewalk activation programs, examples currently include sidewalk patios, vending, street entertainment, newspaper boxes, banners, merchandise displays, and the emerging program related to corporate marketing program and other on-street advertising.
This position will assist with research, collection of data, stakeholder engagement, summarizing and preparing data. The successful candidate will also exercise considerable independence in reviewing a variety of street uses for compliance with program guidelines, policies and bylaws.
The successful candidate will provide both office and field support to educate and enforce on provisions of bylaws (e.g. Street & Traffic By-law, Street Vending By-law) which impact on pedestrian safety and sidewalk activation programs.
The successful candidate may assign work to one or more junior staff. Other duties include, but are not limited to: reading survey and architectural drawings, determining property lines, documenting compliance and noncompliance issues, maintaining client/public relationships, production of reports, statistics and records, responding to public enquiries and complaints, issuing permits, performing general administrative duties including billing and processing of payment fees and assisting the Street Use Management team as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by relevant technical courses, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite ((Excel, Word), basic drafting skills and working knowledge of AutoCAD is required, experience with POSSE is preferred
- Proven interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with multiple departments, the public, BIA’s and business clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including interacting with the public through phone, email and in person.
- Ability to work independently, prioritizing a variety of tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment with little or no supervision and meet tight time lines in a multitask environment.
- Knowledge of bylaws and procedures governing departmental activities.
- Ability to perform research, collect data, analyze information and clearly present findings.
- Familiarity with the City's street system, transportation policies, safety procedures and handling payments.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of clerical tasks related to municipal engineering work, and ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are preferred.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2020
Position End Date: March 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-019: $29.74 to $34.98 per hour
Application Close: July 9, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.