(Casual - Up to 2 positions)
Competition No. 2020-26
$31.49/hr (CUPE Local 358)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Guard on a casual, on-call basis. This position works out of the North Cowichan/ Duncan RCMP detachment.
The successful candidate will be required to work 12-hour shifts, including weekends and evenings, and will be responsible for guarding prisoners, preparing and maintaining related reports. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- Experience in operating a wide variety of communications and office equipment.
- Experience in using word processing and database software.
- Experience in law enforcement, mental health or emergency response.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and prioritize own work.
- Ability to pass and maintain security clearance levels as established by the RCMP.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certificates in safety-oriented first aid and CPR (Level 1).
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate(s) must pass security clearance levels as established by the RCMP.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED