Competition No. 2020-31
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality of North Cowichan is looking for an experienced and innovative customer-service-focused leader and invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities to apply for the position.
This position reports directly to the Manager of Recreation and is responsible for managing the administrative and front counter functions and approximately 15 administrative staff at the Cowichan Aquatic Centre (CAC) and Fuller Lake Arena (FLA). While this is a multifaceted role with a broad scope of responsibility, the position is well supported by the Recreation Department’s administrative team, which is comprised of Customer Relations Clerk 2’s, Coordinating Clerks, and Customer Relations Clerk 1’s across both worksites.
The Customer Relations Clerk 2’s perform and oversee the day-to-day front desk operations and administration for their respective worksites and provide on-shift assistance and functional direction as required to Customer Relations Clerks 1’s that operate the front counters. The Customer Relations Clerk 2’s also provide senior administrative support as directed including, but not limited to, drafting schedules, payroll data entry, social media, event coordination and bookings, recreation program data entry and customer service.
Core responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing, implementing and managing administrative work processes across the Recreation Department to ensure required business results, continuous improvement in customer service and consistent alignment with corporate direction.
- Working effectively with other supervisors, managers and advisory services across the Municipality to ensure effective operations, delivery of service excellence and identification of areas for improvement.
- Providing guidance, direction and decision-making for Recreation Department administration staff and resolving escalated customer complaints and issues, as required.
- Acting for the Manager of Recreation and being available outside standard business hours to respond to urgent Recreation administration issues, as required.
- Managing and approving payroll, schedules and time off requests for administrative staff across the Recreation Department.
- Managing the performance and attendance of the position’s direct reports including conducting probationary reviews and performance reviews, implementing performance improvement plans and attendance management plans as required.
- Leading recruitment and making internal and external hiring decisions for the administrative staff and other Recreation Department staff, as required, supported by the Human Resources Department.
- Coordinating and facilitating injured and/or ill staff graduated return-to–work plans and/or modified duties and/or temporary or permanent accommodations with support from the Human Resources Department.
- Ensuring the health and safety of all Recreation Department administrative staff with support from the Human Resources Department; responsible for escalating and resolving any identified hazards or safety concerns.
- Overall management of the communications and marketing function of the Recreation Department to ensure all communications, special events and communications projects are executed in alignment with the corporate communications plan and consistent with corporate policy, including social media, special event planning and marketing promotions and campaigns; supported by the Communications Department.
- Participating in drafting budgets, monitoring expenditures and conducting programs within budget allocations; and preparing and maintaining reports, records and correspondence.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of external and internal contacts to develop community interest and involvement in programs offered.
- Communicating effectively and diplomatically both verbally and in writing.
The successful candidate must possess a degree in either Business Administration or Public Administration or a related field, supplemented by post-secondary education in applied communications, marketing or similar courses and have a minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in a team environment. Advanced Microsoft Excel and accounting skills are required to be successful.
Preference will be given to those with experience in Recreation.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check. The successful candidate will also need to possess and maintain a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License and a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. Friday, July 3, 2020