Water Distribution Operator – Level II
Water Distribution Operator – Level II
Full Time (40 Hours per week plus Standby)
(Utility/Maintenance Operator) ASAP
Okanagan Falls Irrigation District is seeking a full time Level 2 Utility/Maintenance Operator. This is a career opportunity for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with proven skills, knowledge and abilities as a Water Operator.
Okanagan Falls, BC located 21 km south of Penticton, is a community of approximately 2500 residents, situated on the southern shore of beautiful Skaha Lake and known for its parks, biking trails and neighbouring wineries and ski resorts.
The water system is comprised of five drilled groundwater wells serving approximately 1000 residential and commercial connections and about 25 ha. of agricultural lands. (More information about the system can be found on the OFID website)
The Operator, who is part of a two operator team, will perform, field and technical work related to the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the water distribution system, Community Park and cemetery. In this role the Operator will be responsible for the two zone pumping/reservoir system as well as maintenance, inspection, servicing, repair, testing and installation of water meters, water mains and fire hydrants, as well as duties related to the unidirectional flushing program in order to maintain equipment at a high level of standard operating efficiency.
- Level 2 Water Distribution Certificate -mandatory
- Completion of Grade 12 plus a minimum of 3 years related experience working with water distribution systems, plus completion of EOCP Water Distribution Level II Certification
- Must be willing and able to undertake additional training and education with respect to Water Distribution certification as required under the Drinking Water Protection Act
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance, repair and installation of water meters, valves and related equipment, fittings and services
- Considerable knowledge of the safety precautions and hazards applicable to the work
- Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment, including the ability to operate SCADA equipment to monitor reservoir levels and the pumping system
- Skill in computer use and familiarity with technology related to the position
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, reports and files related to the work manually or using a computer
- Ability to work outdoors in a physically demanding role, in all types of weather conditions
- Proficient at planning, scheduling and organization
- Ability to plan long term as well as prioritize the day to day duties of the job
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License with an acceptable driving records
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Record Check
- Must live within a 20-30 minute drive of Okanagan Falls
We offer a competitive hourly rate with an attractive benefit package, upon successful completion of a three month probation.
If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy and safe environment, able to work unsupervised, ability to work as a co-operative team with a sense of pride in accomplishing the duties of the job we invite you to apply.
Please submit a cover letter, resume including job related references, copies of certificates and a current driver’s abstract for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: 4:30 pm, Monday July 13, 2020
Start Date: ASAP
Submit your application by email to: email@example.com or mail to
Okanagan Falls Irrigation District
PO Box 110
Okanagan Falls, BC V0H 1R0
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.