Municipal District of Greenview
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed-wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Manager, Planning and Development, the GIS Technician will design, develop and manage the many sources of Greenview’s information and assets. Working closely with other departments, the GIS Technician will collect, maintain, analyze and assess data.
- Responsible for the administration, maintenance and management of Greenview’s general information systems including but not limited to Munisight, Geomedia, WorkTech, QGIS and AutoCAD.
- Collect and maintain all asset data for a complete inventory with all key attributes, full descriptions, locations and condition assessment.
- Preform manipulation and analysis of data using multiple software platforms and data sources.
- Accountable for completeness and ongoing accuracy of the asset database.
- Manage the timely data entry, updating and recording of all assets.
- Record, maintain, review and analyze the transfer of data for asset information systems including facilitation of date capture methods.
- Conduct research and investigation of new technologies and provide recommendations to the Manager Planning & Development on improvements to geomatics related business practices and procedures. Liaise with both internal and external information streams.
- Ability to interpret survey plans and engineered drawings.
- Responsible to work with Munisight for updates to sheet maps, including base, council, custom, electoral, emergency mapping in creating and updating all specialty maps and provide GIS mapping to other internal departments within required deadlines.
- Generate maps, other GIS reports and information products.
- Attend applicable workshops, conferences and training required.
- Provide support and training for in-house geomatics software.
- Assisting other departments with GIS related duties and tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Two (2) year Geographic Information System Diploma or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Four (4) years practical desktop support experience working with Microsoft-based network environment.
- Knowledge and experience with integrating Asset Management.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Working knowledge of GIS, PostGRES and related databases and good computer skills.
- Experience working with vector, imagery and LiDAR data.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to help troubleshoot possible GIS related issues.
- Experience in a local government environment is considered an asset.
- Extensive use of Computer and Telephone
- Long periods of sitting
- Good lighting, temperature and noise control
- Moderate physical effort
- Subject to working in mostly indoor environment
- Visiting all of Greenview locations
- Use and operation of vehicle
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; occasional overtime may be required
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
August 29, 2020
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter (stating the position you are applying to) and resume to:
Human Resources, Municipal District of Greenview
No. 16 4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, AB T0H 3N0
E-mail: email@example.com (Please quote the position in the subject line)
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.