Director of Community Safety
Director of Community Safety
Find out why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam!
Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award-winning values-based organization made up of a diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
Community Safety is one of the pillars of the City’s “back to basics” philosophy. The Director of Community Safety position has been established to focus our efforts on enhancing public safety and is tasked with collaborating and building relationships with key stakeholders and leading innovative and effective solutions to ensure all citizens and visitors feel welcome and safe. We are seeking an experienced and visionary community safety professional who has demonstrated exceptional senior leadership capabilities in the areas of community engagement, crime reduction and proactive, compassionate compliance.
Reporting to and working closely with our Chief Administrative Officer, in addition to your departmental responsibilities of organizing, planning, coordinating and directing all community safety initiatives within Community Policing and Bylaws, you will also oversee Information Services, Corporate Office, and Corporate Communications. As a department head, you will be an integral member of our senior management team providing collaborative, city-wide leadership and strategic direction. In the Director role, you oversee a team of talented managers and are an advocate for promoting a culture of “One City” where the overall City’s interests are placed ahead of individual departments.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we would love to hear from you:
- You have 10+ years in progressively advanced roles in public administration, law enforcement or community based social agencies culminating with at least 5 years at the senior level, preferably in a unionized public sector setting
- You have demonstrated leadership by effectively addressing complex community safety issues
- You have exceptional relationship building skills and an ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and presence with key stakeholders including businesses, all levels of government, support agencies and internal partners including elected officials
- You are a natural collaborator with exceptional internal and external customer service skills
- You have an ability to quickly assess and confirm complex situations through effective listening, consultation, data analysis and analytical skills
- You have a post-secondary education which complements your experience
- You are a strategic thinker who can operationalize abstract or vague direction into action
- You have a passion for growing, developing and empowering staff
- You lead with integrity, “walk the talk” and expect the same of others.
Why should you consider working for us?
- We take our work seriously but not ourselves and have a positive attitude about the work we perform
- This is a new position and you have the opportunity to evolve and grow this role into something exceptional that will make a lasting impact to our community
- Our organization is the ideal size for you to make a difference and have an impact
- We have a strong learning culture and want our people to grow and succeed
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including an indexed pension and an annual salary which can grow to over $165,000 per year and embrace a holistic approach to work and life outside of work.
If you tick off many of the boxes above, we want to hear from you! Please send along your resume and a cover letter that describes your fit for our position to www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs noting competition #20-046e by June 7, 2020.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check.
Letter from the CAO