Manager of Operations
Manager of OperationsPosition Reports To:
General Manager of Transportation & Agriculture
The Manager of Operations is responsible for ensuring that both short- and long-term infrastructure needs of the County are met. This is accomplished through accurate monitoring of current facilities and accurate planning of future system improvements and upgrades based upon projected development or legislative changes.
The Manager of Operations oversees the overall operations of crews and has the following direct reports: Gravel Foreman, Surfacing / Bridge Foreman, Construction Foreman, Shop Foreman, Grader Foreman, and Operations Receptionist.
- As a manager with direct reports, participate in the recruitment and selection process, conduct new employee onboarding / orientation, train, coach, performance manage, participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations, participate in employees’ career development, and actively participate in other corporate-endorsed human resource management processes and procedures.
- Participate in the budgeting process for both transportation and infrastructure projects.
- Monitor spending to ensure that expenditures are consistent with approved budgets.
- Work with the County finance team to ensure accurate and sustainable tracking of infrastructure.
- Ensure infrastructure needs of the County are properly assessed and sufficient capacity is maintained for the infrastructure systems.
- Maintain an accurate database of existing infrastructure systems and facilities, detailing both condition and age as well as expected lifespan.
- Work with senior management to ensure appropriate workplace health and safety objectives are met and provide guidance to the Health and Safety Officer regarding the planning and implementation of occupational health and safety initiatives.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Maintain own compliance with OH&S and ensure all applicable employees are in compliance with OH&S including employee attendance at regular safety tailgate meetings, employees being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring employees complete work in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a supervisory capacity
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in a municipal environment related to the provision of transportation and infrastructure services
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills
- Valid Class 3 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Work requires both field and office settings with travel to various construction sites
- Monday to Friday; 8 hours/day; 8:00 am-4:30 pm
If you are interested in applying, send an email to HR, at email@example.com, with your resume attached and quote the applicable job number, P20-05.
In accordance with Wheatland County’s Personnel Policy, the successful candidate will be required to submit to a Criminal Records Check, and must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.