Town of Newmarket
Development & Infrastructure Services -> Public Works Services -> Operations
Operations Centre - Newmarket, ON L3Y9E8 CA (Primary)
Date Posted By
Date Posting Closes
Time Posting Closes
$100,536 - $125,669
Under the direction of the Director, Public Works Services, the Manager, Water/Wastewater is responsible for the management and implementation of the work and the achievement of the objectives within the Water/Wastewater Business Unit. This position is responsible for the day to day management of water distribution, wastewater and storm water collection systems including sewage pump stations and storm water retention facilities for the Town.
This leadership position must demonstrate business acumen for effective delivery of water services to residents with a corresponding drive for excellence in leading staff and providing customer service coupled with the highest ethical standards.
- Post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, with OACETT Certification as a Civil Engineering Technologist (CET), accompanied by provincial government training and certification in related construction/inspection/installation courses, and significant related industry experience that satisfies the Town.
- Member of the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists in good standing.
- Must hold valid water distribution level II and wastewater collection level II operator certification issues by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks.
- Class G driver’s license in good standing and a reliable vehicle available for corporate business.
- Due to the responsibilities of this position a Police Information Check satisfactory to the Town is required.
- Progressively responsible experience at a senior supervisory level.
- Strong demonstration of ethical responsibility in the delivery and management of the water/wastewater business unit.
- Advanced knowledge in water, wastewater, stormwater maintenance, water main and service installation, and lateral installation and maintenance of all infrastructure components.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in the implementation, and adhere, to the requirements stipulated within the Ontario Drinking Water Quality Management Standard.
- Thorough knowledge of emergency planning and preparedness best practices and principles combined with demonstrated experience in dealing effectively and professionally with emergency situations including participating in Emergency Preparedness mock training that relate to Municipal water, wastewater and stormwater operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relationship management to promote and foster a productive and efficient work environment.
- Strong customer service orientation, interpersonal, consultative, problem-solving, analytical, presentation skills and contract administration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated knowledge of report writing, feasibility studies, and business planning.
- Thorough knowledge of strategic planning, procurement and management.
- Thorough knowledge of asset management principles as it relates to being responsible for water/wastewater infrastructure and its reliable service condition.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the municipal sector budget preparation, process and management of capital and operational budgets.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) as well as inventory and asset management programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable federal and provincial legislation, policies and regulations (e.g. Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002, Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of the Environment). Demonstrated knowledge of infrastructure requirements and design submissions for residential, commercial and industrial development projects.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, bylaws, legal proceedings and the ability to interpret legislation such as Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act.