General Manager, Infrastructure and Operational Services
Town of Cochrane
General Manager, Infrastructure and Operational Services
The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 29,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 300 employees.
We are looking for an inspiring, dynamic individual to be key contributor to the Strategic Leadership Team for the Town of Cochrane. This individual will be responsible for leadership and direction in the areas Parks and Open Spaces, Roads, Water and Wastewater, Water and Recycling, Corporate Properties and management of major capital projects. You have political acumen and strategic decision-making ability to ensure the Town moves ahead with its objective to be a progressive and innovate leader in the municipal sector.
You are a Professional Engineer and member of APEGA with a degree in Civil Engineering, Management or related field. Your 10+ years in professional engineering or municipal experience and strategic management experience with municipal engineering or infrastructure services will be imperative to progress in this municipal government environment. Ideally your 5+ years of management within a unionized environment will demonstrate your experience in building positive labour relations, bargaining strategies and grievance management. Your extensive experience in Public Communication, Strategic Planning, Business Plans, Budgeting and a strong understanding of the Alberta Municipal Government Act demonstrates your experience working from a mindset of transparency and accountability to join our strategic leadership team.
As the General Manager, Infrastructure and Operational Services you will:
- Ensure our infrastructure is well planned, and the implementation of planned programs, Council priorities and projects for Infrastructure and Operational Services is carried out on a priority basis with concern for budget expenditures, community growth pressures, operational requirements, human resources and determined timelines in alignment with the Municipal Strategic Plan.
- Ensure policies and legislative requirements of the municipality are implemented and aligned with Administrative and Council priorities according to the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and related applicable legislation.
- Be an active participant of the Strategic Leadership team, entrusted with confidential information provided at all leadership, Council and public meetings/forums.
- Demonstrate a commitment to upholding our corporate mission, vision and values established by the organization through active participation and regular communication to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure all work is performed in accordance with workplace health and safety standards and that all Town policies and procedures and any provincial or federal legislation are current and upheld.
- Ensure the applicable contracts for the upgrade/new construction and operation of all Town infrastructures and facilities in accordance with engineering practices and prevailing Provincial standards and licensing and approvals.
- Manage services to achieve consistent risk management.
- Manage the strategic alignment of major capital funding and community facility needs.
- Participate in due diligence and all construction initiatives associated with the acquisition of land/property.
- Oversee construction related due diligence, structural, architectural and infrastructure design, engineering, construction, marketing and leasing, etc, as they relate to all aspects of cost and cost control.
- Oversees the rehabilitation, renovation and building projects related to Town facilities.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have demonstrated leadership ability with strong communication, coaching and mentoring skills
- You have proven skills in public consultation work with community groups and other stakeholders, understanding and appreciating the unique aspects of working in the public sector
- You have sound knowledge in the areas of legislation, law, records management, bylaw development; specific knowledge of provincial municipal government acts (Alberta MGA).
- You have proven conflict resolution, negotiation and problem-solving skills, preferably in a unionized environment
- You have a thorough knowledge of business process, financial management, process management and strategic planning
- You have analytical skills and the ability to understand and interpret legal and technical information
- You have a proven track record of delivering large complex construction projects on time and on budget
Why should you consider working for us?
- Our vision is to be proud of Cochrane’s heritage, embracing our future, we are a dynamic organization creating municipal excellence. We welcome you to be a part of that municipal excellence as we grow from “How the West is Now” and look for innovative opportunities.
- We welcome creative and skilled individuals to join our team; we uphold values of financial, social and environmental sustainability, and are committed to serving the community.
- Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
- If hired, our total compensation package includes: Competitive public sector pay, Comprehensive health and dental benefits, Professional learning and development opportunities, Wellness programs, Pension and saving plans.
How to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit their resumes, along with a one page letter demonstrating how their qualifications and/or experience match the position; upload in one document
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST June 1, 2020
- Applications must be submitted online at Cochrane.ca/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.