Chief Administrative Officer
Chief Administrative OfficerCOMPETITION NO: 2020-016
TERMS: Permanent Full-Time
START DATE: To be determined
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4:00 p.m., June 6, 2020
The Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region's beauty - pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within approximately 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 130,000 located within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
We have an exciting career opportunity for a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to join one of the largest Regional Districts in the Province. Reporting to a high functioning Board of Directors consisting of 16 Municipal and 10 Electoral Area Directors, the CAO is an appointed officer of the Regional District. The CAO provides administrative and strategic direction to a very diverse employee group delivering services such as building and planning, environmental health, emergency and protective services, as well as a regional library system. Leading a talented senior management team, this position sets a personal example of what is expected of others and effectively manages the political environment through strong, effective relationships with the Board, its committees and members of the public.
The Ideal Candidate:
In addition to possessing years of local government experience and proven executive leadership, you will bring your expertise in strategic thinking, business strategy, and change management to the Board of Directors and the entire Regional District. You achieve results through exceptional communication, relationship and presentation skills, with the ability to engage others through strong leadership.
- A Post-Secondary Degree in Business/Public Administration or related discipline with several years of recent, progressive management experience culminating in a senior position;
- Strong leadership skills with a hands-on, leads by example approach;
- Proven communication skills, both oral and written, and strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with elected officials, external stakeholders, the public and all levels of the organization;
- Knowledge of local government legislation, particularly relating to Regional Districts, and an understanding of UBCM is an asset.
- Strong management, and organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple technically complex and challenging projects;
- The ability to exercise independence in the decision making process and have proven experience and knowledge in the principles of management;
- Proven leadership abilities and a proven record for creativity and innovation;
- Ability to develop conceptual plans and conduct feasibility studies;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrates strong ethical values towards the public and the organization including staff.
The position offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
A Criminal Record Check for this position is required.
Please email your application to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on June 6, 2020 quoting Competition # 2020-016.
Applications must include a cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications and experience.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents!
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.