Recreation and Events Coordinator
Town of Alberton
Recreation and Events Coordinator
Chief Administrative Officer
Nature of Work:
The Recreation and Events Coordinator is responsible for the ongoing planning, development, delivery and evaluation of municipal sport, recreation, healthy living and leisure programs for the implementation of programs in the Town of Alberton for all ages and abilities. He/she will be responsible for the planning, coordination and delivery for all Town events and festivals, including acquiring event sponsors. He/she will inventory existing recreational programs, complete needs assessments to determine the programs that are desired and facilitate the creation and implementation of approved programs. He/she will be responsible for seeking out and applying for federal and provincial grant funding opportunities and for providing recommendations to the CAO for the consideration of Council.
- Post-secondary education in Recreation or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Experience in supervising staff/volunteers
- Working knowledge of current recreation trends
- Proficiency in report writing, budget management, time management, defining goals and objectives and setting priorities
- Current standard level First Aid and CPR (or willingness to receive training)
- Computer proficiency and advanced knowledge or MS Office software
- Strong communication skills and the ability to deal with a number of different target populations
- Experience in grant writing and awareness of resources that exist with recreation programming costs
- Experience with effective advertising and promotional techniques
- Ability to foster good working relationships with other departments, Town Staff, other Government agencies, elected officials, potential event sponsors, the general public and community groups.
- Valid driver’s license and access to personal vehicle
- Must be able to submit clean Criminal Record Check.
- Promotes public understanding and increases awareness of the benefits of recreation, and healthy living in the community.
- Develop, coordinate, promote and evaluate recreational programs for all ages and abilities
- Establish and maintain appropriate public relations in the community
- Respond to community needs and public inquiries/complaints as they relate to recreation programming
- Promote and publicize all recreation/leisure programs/services through the incorporation of media sources, and direct customer/community contact
- Liaise with Sport PEI, Go West and other government departments and organizations to enhance the delivery of recreational and leisure services – lead contact with municipal management, staff and Council and the public for areas of responsibility.
- Manage staff and volunteers throughout events and troubleshoot issues that arise to minimize impact
- Develop and maintain a complete inventory of recreation resources within the Municipality
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that support the delivery of recreational programs and the hosting of events/festivals.
- Prepare reports and recommendations for Council and Committees as directed by the CAO
- Prepare and maintain records and evaluation reports on new and on-going program offerings
- Perform other related duties, responsibilities, or functions as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the objectives, and practices of community recreation programs
- Considerable knowledge of the social and recreational needs for people of all ages and abilities
- Ability to communicate with strong writing, presentation and listening skills that promote understanding and clarity in respectful and professional manner
- Ability to exercise independence of judgment and initiative and to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public
- Ability to gain community participation in programs and events