Recreation Attendant II
Recreation Attendant IIThe City of Terrace is currently looking for qualified applicants to fill the position of Recreation Attendant III with the Leisure Services Department. Under the direction of the Working Foreman (Parks & Facilities), or his/her delegate, the successful candidate oversee the refrigeration plant maintenance, repairs and documentation, will maintain the ice surface, maintain and clean parks, cemetery facilities, and recreation facilities, including the Aquatic Centre, and will operate related equipment.
The City of Terrace is located in the pristine and beautiful Coast Mountains of Northwestern B.C. and is known for world class fishing and endless outdoor adventures. With a well-developed arts and culture community and recreation facilities, Terrace maintains a growing population of approximately 12,500 and services a regional population of 60,000. You will find an opportunity for employment with the City of Terrace attractive if you crave big city amenities without compromising your love of the outdoors.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Oversee the refrigeration plant maintenance and repairs;
- Maintain sufficient documentation and record keeping for the refrigeration plant, as required;
- Supervise public use of recreation facilities;
- Maintain plumbing, heating, ventilation and irrigation systems of leisure services facilities;
- Maintain pool operating equipment;
- Perform minor carpentry and repairs to leisure services facilities;
- Operate equipment including, but not limited to, ice making, janitorial, parks and building maintenance;
- Maintain flower beds, trees, shrubs, trails, turf areas, playgrounds, parks and playing fields, including, but not limited to, weeding, mowing grass, litter pickup, pruning, fertilizing, etc., as required;
- Make and maintain ice surface including flooding, operating ice conditioning machines, ice painting, etc., as required;
- Perform heavy manual duties, including, but not limited to, snow removal, gardening, moving tables, chairs, etc.;
- Prepare cost estimates for all maintenance work required for refrigeration plant, monitor budgets for various projects, and provide input for preparation of annual budget;
- Identify hazards and perform corrective measures, and/or report hazards to supervisor;
- Perform cemetery duties, as required;
- Answer and act on public enquiries and complaints, as required;
- Maintain records and information, as required;
- Shift work may be required;
- Other duties, as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Secondary school graduation;
- Minimum of five years' related experience in facilities and parks maintenance;
- B.C. Refrigeration Operator's Certificate;
- Level II Pool Operator's Certificate;
- Horticultural course or three years' related experience;
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment safely and efficiently;
- Ability to interpret and apply blueprints, drawings, specifications, standards and regulations;
- Good physical condition and able to perform heavy manual labour;
- Supervisory experience;
- Good working knowledge of WorkSafe BC Regulations and the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Refrigeration Safety Regulations, as relates to the work involved;
- First Aid training;
- Ability to work independently and to accomplish tasks and assignments;
- Ability to deal effectively with co-workers, employees and the public;
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's Licence.
A criminal record check will be required to be provided by all potential successful applicants to this position prior to it being awarded. Shift and weekend work may be required.
This is a full-time, unionized position (CUPE Local 2012) offering an hourly wage of $33.74 with an excellent benefits package. The City of Terrace thanks all applicants for their interest but only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
For a closer look at what our vibrant and diverse community has to offer you and information on what a move to Terrace would mean to you, check out our website at www.terrace.ca.
If you feel you are qualified for this position you are invited to apply on-line at www.terrace.ca/city-hall/employment-opportunities.
Human Resources Manager