Town of Old Perlican
Old Perlican, population of 640, is a fishing village on the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Town is located at the intersection of Routes 70 and 80 – and is approximately 60 km from Carbonear. Old Perlican is one of the oldest fishing communities in the Province and a thriving service center for the collection of smaller communities at the head of Trinity and Conception Bays. It has many sites of interest: a large developed harbour, historic churches, the Beckett Heritage Home and Twine Loft with historic artifacts, and Memorial Park. It is also home of the Dr. A. A. Wilkinson Memorial Health Centre, a state-of-the-art acute care facility, with modern laboratory and x-ray facilities operated by Eastern Health. The Town is one of the most prosperous fishing communities in the Province and is world renowned for its hospitality and its spectacular view of icebergs and whales.
Old Perlican is hiring a Town Clerk/Manager and is inviting anyone with a passion for local government and a desire to improve the lives of residents and encourage economic growth to apply.
Reporting to Council the Town Clerk/Manager is responsible to:
- Perform the statutory duties of Town Clerk and Town Manager as contained in Sections 61 and 54 of the Municipalities Act, 1999
- Provide advice and recommendations to Council and implement their decisions and policies
- Supervise management and staff and provide organizational leadership
- Monitor and manage Public Works; Municipal Plan and Development Regulations; Fire Department; Emergency Preparedness Plan; recreation facilities, programs and the delivery of services to residents and businesses to ensure the effective utilization of the human, financial and physical resources of the Town
- Develop a detailed capital and operating budget, forecast and long-term financial plans for approval of the Council and monitor all financial activities of the Town
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of Provincial Legislation and Regulations that affect the policy decisions of Council
- Act as “Coordinator” under Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act
This is a fulltime position with compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The ideal candidate will have Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Commerce, Public Administration, or in a related field, and experience working with elected officials, appointed or volunteer boards. The ideal candidate will have at least five (5) years’ experience in a senior municipal or comparable administrative position. The ideal candidate will also have proven interpersonal, leadership, written and verbal communication skills, a thorough understanding of the municipal financial and budgeting processes, and a strong customer service focus. Other candidates will be considered who possess an equivalent combination of experience and training acceptable to the Town.
If you are interested in an opportunity to become part of a dedicated team to provide effective and efficient municipal services and programs, please submit a covering letter and resume. The letter and resume should clearly outline how you meet the qualifications for this position and why you want to work for us, and provide at least two (2) professional references to:
36 Yetman Drive
Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 3A8
Applicants are to submit their letter and resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm April 17, 2020.
We thank all applicants and advise only those considered for an interview will be contacted.