Executive Director, Legal & Legislative Service
Executive Director, Legal & Legislative ServiceFull Time - Exempt
April 13, 2020
Founded in 1874, Maple Ridge is one of BC’s oldest communities, but it’s also one of the fastest growing Cities in Metro Vancouver. This tremendous pace of growth creates opportunities for professionals like you to bring your passion and talents to our organization to build our future and your career in one of the most incredible natural settings in BC.
We are currently seeking a qualified individual for the position of Executive Director, Legal & Legislative Service. The ideal candidate must have a highly positive and professional demeanor, be a self-starter, problem-solving individual with a strong attention to detail and a drive for customer service excellence and team oriented.
About the role:
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Executive Director, Legal & Legislative Service is responsible for the direction, organization and administration of the City’s legal, legislative, risk, and civic property management functions. This position will be responsible for providing professional, competent and effective advice on a full range of subjects dealt with by the City of Maple Ridge, including providing legal advice on day-to-day operational undertakings of the Municipality. In addition, the Executive Director, Legal & Legislative Service will provide leadership and direction on legal matters that may impact the City. You will also provide legal guidance to our Council, CAO, Management and staff on an array of diverse legal, regulatory proceedings, normally associated with the Municipality. You must be well-versed in provincial law governing the creation and operation of municipal governments. Additionally, you must have working knowledge of the law related to open meetings, open records, contracts, taxes, and criminal records.
Knowledge and Ability in:
- Municipal legislation including the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act;
- City Bylaws and associated regulations, policies and procedures;
- Read, interpret and analyze complex legal documents, including extensive research and statutory interpretation;
- Speak effectively to groups and associations as well as the ability to meet and deal effectively with a variety of internal and external groups, associations, officials and representatives.
- Excellent skills in report writing, presenting, oral and written communication skills including the ability to collaborate and communicate vertically and horizontally within the organization.
- Must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of BC;
- Bachelor of Law Degree or equivalent; and,
- Minimum seven (7) years of related and relevant experience practicing Law. Preferably legal services to local government, in the Province of British Columbia including three (3) years in a management role.
Your skills and talents are the essential element in helping our organization meet the challenges and opportunities of our community. This is a place where you can make a difference, serve your community with pride and professionalism and work with our elected representatives to turn their vision for our community into action.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required as a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
What we offer you:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.