(Temporary Full Time)
The District of West Vancouver invites applications for a temporary 13-week full-time student position as Education Assistant at the West Vancouver Museum, from June 1, 2020 through August 28, 2020.
The Education Assistant’s role is to assist with the development and delivery of public programs for children and youth, through the Museum’s year-round education programs. Reporting to the Education Coordinator, the Education Assistant will help to develop new in-house programs for the coming academic year, developing age-appropriate art projects based on Museum exhibitions. In addition, the Education Assistant will help to develop and deliver the Museum-based summer Art and Architecture Camps, supervising students and youth volunteers, and independently researching, scripting, and delivering one class each week on a special topic. The Education Assistant will build on the experience gained through those programs, to lead the planning, development and delivery of a future program for children or youth, conducting independent research on works in the Museum or exhibiting artists. The Education Assistant will also support the day-to-day operations of the Museum, by jointly monitoring the gallery and gift shop with assistance from other staff and volunteers.
This position will provide hands-on, career-related experience for a student considering a career in art education and museum/gallery programming for young audiences.
The ideal Education Assistant will be outgoing and sociable, and feel comfortable engaging children and youth in age-appropriate and enthusiastic conversations about art, architecture, and design. In addition, candidate will:
- be currently enrolled in graduate or undergraduate studies in Art or Art History, Architecture or Architecture History, or Arts Education
- have experience using PC and Mac operating systems
- be proficient using MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- have excellent oral communication skills, including an ability to address individuals and groups
- have excellent written communication skills, including an understanding of differences in writing for child, youth, and adult audiences
- preferably have experience developing and delivering arts-based and/or exhibition-related programs for child and/or youth audiences
Please note that this temporary position is supported by Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations and is subject to confirmation of funding. Candidates must meet the Young Canada Works Eligibility Criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada. Note: Non-Canadian students or graduates holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
- be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- be between 15* and 30 years of age at the start of employment (*where permissible under provincial/territorial labour laws).
- meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply.
- be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory.
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment (minimum 30 hours a week).
- not have another full-time job while employed in a YCW job.
and register with Young Canada Works online (https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Account/Login).
The successful candidate will be required to supply a police information check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on Westnet.
Summer Student (participation in the WVMEA will be mandatory)
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary) June 1, 2020 through August 28, 2020
Rate of Pay:
$15.00 per hour plus 4% in lieu of benefits
11:59 p.m. March 31, 2020
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.